Iridium Question

Old July 6th 10, 07:14 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Von Fourche[_2_]

Default Iridium Question

To see an Iridium flair, how close does on have to be to the track? Does
one have to be right under the track or can one
be a few miles away and still see the flair?

Thanks.

Old July 6th 10, 07:15 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Von Fourche[_2_]

"Von Fourche" wrote in message

To see an Iridium flair, how close does on have to be to the track? Does
one have to be right under the track or can one
be a few miles away and still see the flair?

Thanks.

Never mind. Already asked this question months ago.

Old August 5th 10, 05:03 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
DougD

In article , "Von Fourche" wrote:

To see an Iridium flair, how close does on have to be to the track? Does
one have to be right under the track or can one
be a few miles away and still see the flair?

Thanks.

It's more a matter of what level of drop off of the reflected light are you
able to see. The further from the track you get, the less reflected light.
If you use Heaven's Above, they provide the base intensity expected
at the track, say -8 (-9 being the maximum for the Iridium's), and then
the predicted intensity based on your observing position based on
your observing spec's that you enter. As you move further off track,
the intensity will drop, so for say Irid 21, with a base of -8, at my location
4.5km east of the track, it drops to -7. There is a -9 Irid 66 tonight, my
location is 33km east, the predicted intensity is 0. I tend to only try to
spot IRD's that are within 10km or less from my location, so that I'm
not trying to spot less than -5 or -6's..

d.
Old August 5th 10, 08:05 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Von Fourche[_2_]

"DougD" wrote in message
In article , "Von Fourche"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I did see my first flair. I was about a month or so ago. It was,
I think ten miles or so away. I saw it
moving fast across the sky and got brighter for a few seconds, then dropped
down to it's original brightness.

Old August 6th 10, 02:27 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Daniel Minge

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 03:05:10 -0400, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

"DougD" wrote in message
In article , "Von Fourche"
wrote:

[...]

Ten miles away?

Uhhhh?

Minge
Old August 6th 10, 04:38 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Patty Winter

In article ,
Daniel Minge wrote:
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 03:05:10 -0400, "Von Fourche"

[bunch of extraneous quotage deleted]

Thanks. I did see my first flair. I was about a month or so ago. It was,
I think ten miles or so away. I saw it
moving fast across the sky and got brighter for a few seconds, then dropped
down to it's original brightness.

Ten miles away?

Uhhhh?

I think Von meant that he was 10 miles from the centerline of flare
visibility. Pretty sure he didn't mean 10 miles from the satellite. :-)

Patty

Iridium Daniel Minge Satellites 8 June 30th 10 11:38 AM
Bye Bye Iridium-33 flyguy Satellites 1 February 12th 09 12:53 PM
Iridium 64 companion? [email protected] Satellites 1 September 1st 08 04:10 AM
GPS and Iridium Charles Talleyrand Technology 1 January 20th 06 04:36 AM
iridium x 2 Craig MacDougal Amateur Astronomy 7 December 18th 03 09:45 AM