...Lesson for Nasa! US Airmail and Aviation

Old May 26th 06, 06:56 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

Default ...Lesson for Nasa! US Airmail and Aviation

You're wrong. As price rises, demand falls due to customers switching to
alternatives. Eventually, you end up with oil that's so expensive, no one
in their right mind would use it, so you never truly "run out" of oil.

As price rises, demand falls; as demand falls, price drops. If hardly
anything runs on oil, oils prices will crash into the dust, and it will
be affordable for other uses. So yes, we will use it all up eventually
- it just won't be that important by the time it's gone.

Old May 26th 06, 06:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

Well, no, Dale. Most people would consider "running out" to be the
point where we absolutely still must have it and there isn't any to be
gotten.

No, "running out" means "it's all gone" like running out of passenger
pigeons. As price goes up, demand will drop, as demand drops, price
falls, until oil becomes rarely used and very cheap, but even at a slow
rate of usage, it will eventually be all gone.

Old May 26th 06, 09:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

wrote in message
oups.com...
You're wrong. As price rises, demand falls due to customers switching to
alternatives. Eventually, you end up with oil that's so expensive, no
one
in their right mind would use it, so you never truly "run out" of oil.

As price rises, demand falls; as demand falls, price drops. If hardly
anything runs on oil, oils prices will crash into the dust, and it will
be affordable for other uses. So yes, we will use it all up eventually
- it just won't be that important by the time it's gone.

This makes no sense to me. If oil drilling stops completely, due to
extremely low demand, there will still be some oil out there that's either
undiscovered (too costly to find such a small deposit) and/or so hard to
extract it's simply not worth it. Oil will never be completely gone from
this planet.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Old May 26th 06, 09:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

On Fri, 26 May 2006 16:24:41 -0400, in a place far, far away, "Jeff
Findley" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

wrote in message
roups.com...
You're wrong. As price rises, demand falls due to customers switching to
alternatives. Eventually, you end up with oil that's so expensive, no
one
in their right mind would use it, so you never truly "run out" of oil.

As price rises, demand falls; as demand falls, price drops. If hardly
anything runs on oil, oils prices will crash into the dust, and it will
be affordable for other uses. So yes, we will use it all up eventually
- it just won't be that important by the time it's gone.

This makes no sense to me. If oil drilling stops completely, due to
extremely low demand, there will still be some oil out there that's either
undiscovered (too costly to find such a small deposit) and/or so hard to
extract it's simply not worth it. Oil will never be completely gone from
this planet.

No, but it may be gone from Ordover's planet. You know, the one on
which no one understand economics?
Old May 26th 06, 09:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

wrote in message
oups.com...

Well, no, Dale. Most people would consider "running out" to be the
point where we absolutely still must have it and there isn't any to be
gotten.

No, "running out" means "it's all gone" like running out of passenger
pigeons.

Extinction of a passenger pigeons isn't quite the same thing as extraction
of oil from the ground. Not all passenger pigeons died at the hands of man
and not all of the ones that did were bought and sold.

As price goes up, demand will drop, as demand drops, price
falls, until oil becomes rarely used and very cheap, but even at a slow
rate of usage, it will eventually be all gone.

Doubtful. As oil usage slows to a standstill, there will be deposits of oil
in the ground that are undiscovered (too expensive to find such a small
deposit) and there will be deposits that are known about, but are too
expensive to extract.

Old May 26th 06, 09:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

The 75% on-the-job death rate of early airmail pilots would probably
not go over so well today.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old May 27th 06, 12:46 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.station

Forgive me, I'm feeling contrary today.

Fred J. McCall wrote:

The only way we would ever 'use it all up' is if there is some
critical use for which absolutely no substitute exists at any price.
Then it will stay very expensive so that price exceeds the cost of
getting it out of the ground and we'll keep pumping it up until there
is no more.

Note that the preceding is pretty much an economically impossible
situation, since there are no uses for anything that are infinitely
valuable and for which no possible substitute will do.

How about phosphorus? It's been proposed as the ultimate limiting
factor for the size of the human population the Earth will support.