Absolute newbie questions - First telescope

Old July 9th 04, 03:38 PM
Aunt Buffy

How did you achieve the magnificent feat of time travel. How is August
2004...wet or glorious. Who won the British Open at Royal Troon?

"Jim Mosquera" wrote in message
Orion has a good reputation... but I would stay away from a Mak-Cass as a
first scope because their large focal ratio means a narrow field of view,
which makes for some frustration in the ability to find what you are

looking
for (as a beginner) and does not allow viewing some objects in their
entirety that require a larger field of view. A six to eight inch

dobsonian
reflector from Orion or Celestron would fit the bill... also consider a
well-made compact refractor... see Stellarvue ...
http://www.stellarvue.com/newtoastronomy.html and
http://www.stellarvue.com/at1010order.html and
http://www.stellarvue.com/809dm.html . I have a reflector and 2

refractors,
that offer complementary capabilities. Also consider purchasing two
books... "Left Turn at Orion" and "Nigh****ch," which are classic

beginners
books.

Good Luck
Jim

" wrote in
message ...
My father is getting ready to do an extended trip of North America
camping much of the way. This is a trip from the mid-Atlantic region
to Florida to New England across the northern US and southern Canada
into Alaska, etc.

I'd like to get him a telescope for his trip and have just recently
started looking into them. Like anything new along these lines, the
information can be overwhelming.
He's had binoculars for a while and used them minimally for looking at
the sky. He's interested to the point where he reads several NASA,
JPL, astronomy Web pages on a regular basis and I think he'd really
enjoy using a telescope.

Budget is one criteria - I really can't go over about $500.00.
Portability would be a big factor as space is limited. Ease of
setting it up would also be somewhat of a concern.

When I just started browsing for information, one of the first
retailer sites I ran across was Orion's. They've got a 102mm
Mak-Cassegrain with a Plossl 25mm eyepiece, mount, tripod, etc. for
$389.00. Specs are 1300mm focal length, f/12.7. Includes a carrying
case and a copy of TheSky tracking software.

Am I headed in the right direction looking at this? Is this brand
worth considering? What else should I be looking at?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.