what if a comet were to hit north america and destroy it?

Old March 21st 04, 10:40 PM
meat n potatoes

Default what if a comet were to hit north america and destroy it?

suppose a comet the size of bhutan was headed toward okalohoma and all
of north america would be obliterated in when it hits 5 yrs hence.

what should we do?

suppose we ask other nations to let americans immigrate abroad.
suppose they don't let us? should we invade them and take over?
if they do let us immigrate, should we melt into their culture and
learn their language or should we maintain our american culture?

could we maybe buy a big chunk of south america or africa or siberia
for like 1/3 of the entire US GNP and start a new america?

when could we return to america and rebuild? what would america look
like after the impact after 10 yrs?
Old March 21st 04, 11:00 PM
Tom McDonald

meat n potatoes wrote:

suppose a comet the size of bhutan was headed toward okalohoma and all
of north america would be obliterated in when it hits 5 yrs hence.

what should we do?

suppose we ask other nations to let americans immigrate abroad.
suppose they don't let us? should we invade them and take over?
if they do let us immigrate, should we melt into their culture and
learn their language or should we maintain our american culture?

could we maybe buy a big chunk of south america or africa or siberia
for like 1/3 of the entire US GNP and start a new america?

when could we return to america and rebuild? what would america look
like after the impact after 10 yrs?

Spuds,

A comet that size, striking North America dead-on, would more
than likely kill of all human-kind, either in the immediate
post-impact period, or in the 'nuclear winter' it would cause.
With luck, in some tens of millions of years, cockroaches might
evolve into sentience. Best case scenario, we all die fairly
quickly.

Tom McDonald
Old March 21st 04, 11:33 PM
David Johnston

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:00:12 -0600, Tom McDonald
wrote:

Spuds,

A comet that size, striking North America dead-on, would more
than likely kill of all human-kind, either in the immediate
post-impact period, or in the 'nuclear winter' it would cause.

When you respond to Gaza it would be a good idea to remove
the movies newsgroup that he always crossposts to to get guys
like you to fill it up.

Old March 22nd 04, 12:16 AM
Ben Sisson

From the shadows, the mysterious Tom McDonald
(if that IS his real name)
conspiratorially whispered:

A comet that size, striking North America dead-on, would more
than likely kill of all human-kind, either in the immediate
post-impact period, or in the 'nuclear winter' it would cause.
With luck, in some tens of millions of years, cockroaches might
evolve into sentience.

Some might argue this has already happened.

--

Magister Mundi sum!

Aughra: Where is he?
Jen: He's dead.
Aughra: Could be anywhere, then.
Old March 22nd 04, 01:43 AM
madkevin

"meat n potatoes" wrote in message
m...
suppose a comet the size of bhutan was headed toward okalohoma and all
of north america would be obliterated in when it hits 5 yrs hence.

what should we do?

You could block it with your ass.

Kevin "M.D.S." Cogliano

Old March 22nd 04, 02:33 AM
frank habets

Tom McDonald wrote in :

meat n potatoes wrote:

[...]

I thought the KT bollide was a few kms wide only, and it wiped out two-thirds of the extant species.
If it was the size of Bhutan, 24,000 sq kms, then surely we'd get snookered out of orbit, as well
as having everything here die. Except for cockroaches.
Old March 22nd 04, 02:43 AM
Alan Erskine

"meat n potatoes" wrote in message
Cross-posting troll.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old March 22nd 04, 03:14 AM
Richard Lamb

Default what if a meteor were to graze South Atlantic?

Thank you Keven.

However? from a different perspective?

I guess that rock that flew by last week kind of got under my skin.

Not because it was so close, necessarily.
Maybe because it was so close and was first noticed only Monday?

Thinking about it, though, this seems like an impossible thing to
predict.

Where to look - when? Not to mention how.

IS it possible to detect smallish objects?

Richard Lamb
Old March 22nd 04, 06:16 PM
Anthony Buckland

meat n potatoes wrote:

suppose a comet the size of bhutan was headed toward okalohoma and all
of north america would be obliterated in when it hits 5 yrs hence.

what should we do?

Launch an ark spacecraft. It will probably fail eventually, given our
current
technology, but you've just described a total Earth life extinction
event, so
we might as well make the gesture. At the very least, launch a records
craft
in case someone comes by in the future; and make a maximal effort to
broadcast
an informational message in the direction of any system remotely likely
to have
a life-bearing planet.

suppose we ask other nations to let americans immigrate abroad.
suppose they don't let us? should we invade them and take over?

No point. They will be as totally wiped out as us.

if they do let us immigrate, should we melt into their culture and
learn their language or should we maintain our american culture?

could we maybe buy a big chunk of south america or africa or siberia
for like 1/3 of the entire US GNP and start a new america?

when could we return to america and rebuild? what would america look
like after the impact after 10 yrs?

Non-existent -- you did say "destroy." Where it had been would be
fresh, quite hot,
surface.

Old March 23rd 04, 12:21 AM
meat n potatoes

Tom McDonald wrote in message ...
meat n potatoes wrote:

[...]

okay, what if the comet was only big enough to destroy all of north
america while sparing the rest of the world?