July's Popular Astronomy

Old July 4th 03, 09:13 AM
SimonP

Default July's Popular Astronomy

Got this ¼'s edition yesterday and as usual with most magazines I
skipped straight to the letters pages. The second page of letters
grabbed my attention.
Last edition of PA had a review of Stephen's (editor) book about
Practical Amateur Spectroscopy
(http://www.springer.co.uk/astronomy_showcase.htm – 20% discount for
SPA members). At the time I thought the review a little harsh but not
having read the book I couldn't (and still can't) comment. It seems 2
people, in possibly the best position to comment, did, namely Stephen
and Jack [1] the author of one of the chapters.
I think this the first time I've seen a response to a review from the
reviewee, ever. That said both letters were, IMO, very well argued
and complimented each other. Good to see people with passion enough
to stand up and good to see PA is happy to show both sides of the
coin. I wonder if a commercial magazine would do the same.
Secondly, it seems there is a spy in the camp ;-)
Earlier this year Martin Frey posted about the SPA's 50th anniversary
badge, Paul Brierly and I responded. You can imagine my surprise when
I saw our posts in print!! Not half the surprise as the look on my
wife's face when I read it to her…

Thanks to the cosmology article [2]. I have finished my first end of
course assessment but there is 1 question that has been bugging me and
I really haven't been happy with my answer but have not been able to
find any information that says "this is like this because of that."
Reading the article over breakfast this AM the answer was there,
brilliant. Also excellent timing I was going to send the ECA off
today but am now going to delay that while I rewrite my answer. BTW
it was one of the options I was juggling.
Thanks once again to PA

[1] Sorry if I've got the name wrong and that I can't remember the
surname, PA is at home ATM.
[2] Again, apologies to the author, I can't remember their name
either.

--
Simon
51:31N 0:38W
Old July 6th 03, 05:03 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Richard Darn wrote:
I only joined the SPA last year but have been deeply impressed by the
PA Magazine. It could teach Astronomy Now a thing a two.

Fully agree -- I've been saying that for a while now. _AN_ had a period
of recovery when Paul Parsons was at the helm, but it's got a tad turgid
again IMHO.

I raise a pint in the direction of the editor.

That's Peter Grego -- since he became editor, he seems to have had the
knack of only making changes that improve the mag -- he certainly has
the "touch"! And _PA_ is put together on a volunteer basis!

Best,
Stephen

--
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +