Scope setup question (Newbie)

Old July 2nd 03, 04:51 PM
andrew

Default Scope setup question (Newbie)

Levelling is an issue, definitely.
I carefully balanced the mount and did a polar alignment and it all seemed
OK, but the GOTO just kept on missing by (sorry) one whole viewfinder's
worth.

Next morning when I looked at the scope I noticed one of the tripod legs was
extended further than the others. I'm confident the next night out will be
better!!

BUT

After 30mins of GOTO hell, I visually ligned up on Cassiopeia and gently
hopped my way down to where Andromeda should be. Then a lil spiral search
found me my first galaxy. I was stoked, GOTO or not!!

cheers
Andrew

"Martin Frey" wrote in message
"Martin Wood" wrote:

Help I'm having problems setting up my telescope. My equipment is

Celestron
C5i with GOTO handset and CN16 GPS unit.

SNIP

Can anyone help please, or have I just waisted a Grand?

Cheers
Slinger

You will have read a lot of negative stuff about gotos etc - and I
have no experience of meade or celestron kit

But I wouldn't jump to any conclusions such as you've wasted your
money.

I do not believe that Meade or celestron have been putting out a vast
con trick, selling worthless kit that doesn't work. There are quality
control issues that come and go and yours wouldnt be the first bit of
their kit that had to be replaced because it didn't work. Getting all
the initial parameters set right has caused problems Setting up
horizontal and keeping horizontal can be a problem (according to
Robert)

I would join a Yahoo group for your telescope or near equivalent. I'd
shout COME IN ROD MOLLISE who knows an awful lot about SCTs from first
to latest and occasionally posts to/watches this group.

If at first you don't succeed, don't try parachuting...

but do keep on trying with your new scope

Cheers

Martin

Martin Frey
N 51 02 E 0 47