Silly question - is Pluto "a planet" or not ???

Old September 19th 03, 10:36 PM

Default Silly question - is Pluto "a planet" or not ???

perhaps a very silly question...

a while ago, there was a move to downgrade
the status of Pluto - from "planet" to "minor body"

I was told today that it was now "definitive",
and astronomers no longer call it a planet

so, what *is* the current statue of Pluto ???

Old September 19th 03, 10:43 PM
Phyloe

I understand that Pluto is smaller than the Moon. Perhaps the Moon should
be considered a planet. What would the Earth Moon combo be considered?
Phyloe

Old September 19th 03, 11:34 PM
Rick

Bottom line, this is all a futile attempt to slap silly human labels
on celestial objects which are under no obligation to fall cleanly
into any one of them. The only definitive statement is that both
planets and moons are blobs of rock and/or gas.

Rick

Old September 19th 03, 11:54 PM
Douglas A. Shrader

wrote in message
perhaps a very silly question...

a while ago, there was a move to downgrade
the status of Pluto - from "planet" to "minor body"

I was told today that it was now "definitive",
and astronomers no longer call it a planet

so, what *is* the current statue of Pluto ???

Regardless of what Astronomers say, the majority of people will still call
it a planet.
Perhaps the next generation will rename it.

Old September 20th 03, 06:05 AM
David Knisely

someone posted:

perhaps a very silly question...

a while ago, there was a move to downgrade
the status of Pluto - from "planet" to "minor body"

I was told today that it was now "definitive",
and astronomers no longer call it a planet

so, what *is* the current statue of Pluto ???

According to the International Astronomical Union (the main official "naming"
body), Pluto is still considered a planet. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old September 20th 03, 09:04 PM
Bright Star

Pluto IS a planet. Maybe it's not that big of a planet but it be kind of
dumb & pointless to say otherwise when most people believe it is.