Need recent data for red shift vs. distance for stars

Old August 17th 03, 01:59 AM
Babak Sehari

Default Need recent data for red shift vs. distance for stars

Hello,

I am looking for the recent & reliable red shift vs. star distance data for
as many stars as possible. If you know a good source, please point me to
it.

Thanks,
Babak

Old August 17th 03, 09:45 AM
Odysseus

Babak Sehari wrote:

I am looking for the recent & reliable red shift vs. star distance data for
as many stars as possible. If you know a good source, please point me to
it.

Several references (not very recent, but presumably quite reliable)
are cited he

http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/~spider/spider/Misc/star_cats.html#rv.

--
Odysseus
Old August 17th 03, 03:48 PM
Bill Nunnelee

Stars in our own galaxy are gravitationally bound to it and display roughly
equal numbers of red shifts and blue shifts. If it's cosmological redshifts
you're after (and that's the only way a distance versus red shift comparison
makes sense), you need to search for data on galaxies.

Old August 17th 03, 08:39 PM
Odysseus

Bill Nunnelee wrote:

Stars in our own galaxy are gravitationally bound to it and display roughly
equal numbers of red shifts and blue shifts. If it's cosmological redshifts
you're after (and that's the only way a distance versus red shift comparison
makes sense), you need to search for data on galaxies.

True, but we have few, if any, means of corroborating the galactic
distances derived from red-shifts. Perhaps a catalogue of cepheids in
our own and nearby galaxies would make a good 'compromise', for example

http://ddo.astro.utoronto.ca/cepheids.html and

http://dogwood.physics.mcmaster.ca/Cepheid//HomePage.html.

--
Odysseus
Old August 20th 03, 07:43 AM
eyelessgame

"Babak Sehari" wrote in message ...
I would like to thank all the people who posted their answer to my question.
I trying
another theory to explain the red shift. Therefore, I needed the data.
Upon completion
of my calculations I post the results for your review.

Thansks,
Babak

You're just a /tad/ premature in coming up with "another theory to
explain the red shift" if you are so uninformed as not even to have
the redshift data available to you. Exactly how much of this have you
studied?

With your alternative theory, be sure to explain the CMBR, the
cosmological constant problem, the recent speedup of the universe, the
curvature of the universe, the match of redshift to cepheids, the
younger population stars in higher-redshift galaxies, and about a
dozen other lines of evidence for the current consensus view. You've
got a bit more to explain than just redshift. Trying to change one
law of physics is like trying to eat one peanut.

Best of luck, thouhg.

eyelessgame
Old August 22nd 03, 05:40 AM
Babak Sehari

Ok. My theory basically is that there should be another explanation to the
red shift than doppler shift. My theory
suggest that light, like any other particle, is radio-active. So a phton of
light has its energy given:

E = h v

Where v (nu) is the frequency, and it's momentum given as:

p = h/lambda

Where lambda is wave length. Now if a light be radio active and instead of
H atom or nutron emits another photon
we would have:

E = h v1 = h v2 + h v3

The reason that I put is that the average frequency and not a sharp
frequency, because of uncertainty principle.
Now, let's assume that v3 is balck body radiation associated with 4 Deg K
that is coming from all corners of universe.
Now if we crunch the numbers and try to find out what is the half life of
the light. That is light coming from closer objects
may have gone through a few radio active reaction and the light that is
coming from far. So in general we have:

E=hv1-n.v3 + n h v3

This could mean that the reason that the far objects have larger red shift
than closer objects is because the light coming from
them has gone through many radio active like reaction. Also this could
explain why there is a background 4 Deg K radioation.
Further more, it suggests that 4 Deg K radiation pattern may be a
fundamental particle (photon) in our universe.

The problem with doppler shift is that it asumes light will not change
indefinately. This of course is the case in earth, solar system
or our galactical neighbourhood. But we should not assume this is the case
for over 1000s of light years distance (or time) frame.

Looking at it from classical point of view: Using Maxwell's euation we can
drive the speed of light to be constant and a function
of u and e of free space. It is widely assumed that u and e are constant
all over universe. We know u and e could become tanser in
say ferride materials, so it is possible that some where far from our
galaxy u and e are not constats and have tenser like
property. Or u and e have very small non axial component that are many
order of magnitude smaller than the axial componant. This
means the light over large distances could go through rotation and/or
frequency despersion. Further more we have not proven that
u and e of free space are not time dependent.

So there are these and many other questions that make me want to examine
"the red-shift caused by doppler shift effect" religion
scientifically.

Regards,
Babak Sehari

Ps. Please feel free to point me to a prove why u and e are not a function
of time or 100,000s light year from earth space have the
same property as around here, or photon's half life is indefinate. Then I
accept your "the red-shift caused by doppler shift effect"
religion.

om...

Old August 23rd 03, 02:02 AM
eyelessgame

"Babak Sehari" wrote in message ...
Ok. My theory basically is that there should be another explanation to the
red shift than doppler shift.

OK.

My theory suggest that light, like any other particle, is radio-active.

Where's your data suggesting that this is the case? Show the
published papers -- or present for publication any papers -- that have
demonstrated the radioactivity of photons, and we'll have a good place
to start.

[snip rest till we hear from him here]

eyelessgame