Enter the Dragon?

Old July 15th 08, 04:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy
MO

Default Enter the Dragon?

Not much has been mentioned in official circles that the SpaceX Dragon
could help to fill the U.S. manned spaceflight gap that will run from
2010, when the shuttle retires, to 2015, when the manned Orion files
for the first time.

It seems to me that the Dragon, once proven, could be quite a viable
taxi for the ISS.
Old July 15th 08, 04:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall

:
:It seems to me that the Dragon, once proven, could be quite a viable
:taxi for the ISS.
:

And when is it going to be 'proven'?

The plan says it does its first 'proof of concept' flight in 2010.
There's still a lot of work to be done after that.

--George Bernard Shaw
Old July 15th 08, 05:15 PM posted to sci.space.policy
kT

MO wrote:

Not much has been mentioned in official circles that the SpaceX Dragon
could help to fill the U.S. manned spaceflight gap that will run from
2010, when the shuttle retires, to 2015, when the manned Orion files
for the first time.

When Orion flies for the first time? Hahaha hahahaha ... that's rich.

It seems to me that the Dragon, once proven, could be quite a viable
taxi for the ISS.

You mean once demonstrated, of course.

It's the only option, besides the other options. Ares isn't one of them.
Old July 16th 08, 01:25 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:31:44 -0700 (PDT), MO
wrote:

Not much has been mentioned in official circles that the SpaceX Dragon
could help to fill the U.S. manned spaceflight gap that will run from
2010, when the shuttle retires, to 2015, when the manned Orion files
for the first time.

It seems to me that the Dragon, once proven, could be quite a viable
taxi for the ISS.

If the delays that SpaceX has endured just getting Falcon 1 up and
running are any guide, Dragon won't be available to fill the gap.

Brian
Old July 16th 08, 01:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy
kT

wrote:

Not much has been mentioned in official circles that the SpaceX Dragon
could help to fill the U.S. manned spaceflight gap that will run from
2010, when the shuttle retires, to 2015, when the manned Orion files
for the first time.

It seems to me that the Dragon, once proven, could be quite a viable
taxi for the ISS.

If the delays that SpaceX has endured just getting Falcon 1 up and
running are any guide, Dragon won't be available to fill the gap.

The gap is now irrelevant. The problem is the IDIOT'S ROCKET - Ares I.

Falcon and Dragon will solve that problem completely, as do the EELVs.
Old July 16th 08, 01:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones

Brian Thorn wrote:
If the delays that SpaceX has endured just getting Falcon 1 up and
running are any guide, Dragon won't be available to fill the gap.

Especially since getting Dragon "up there" requires both Dragon and
Falcon 9, unless SpaceX has some sort of "Little Joe III" (as it were)
hiding in the back of the shop with which to test Dragon while they
debug Falcon 9.

rick jones
Old July 16th 08, 06:21 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"MO" wrote in message
Not much has been mentioned in official circles that the SpaceX Dragon
could help to fill the U.S. manned spaceflight gap that will run from
2010, when the shuttle retires, to 2015, when the manned Orion files
for the first time.

It seems to me that the Dragon, once proven, could be quite a viable
taxi for the ISS.

It's those two words, "once proven" that are critical.

Any new system is going to take a lot of work to meet those two words.

Old July 17th 08, 05:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Dr J R Stockton[_1_]

In sci.space.policy message
, Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:25:31, Brian Thorn
posted:
wrote:

It seems to me that the Dragon, once proven, could be quite a viable
taxi for the ISS.

If the delays that SpaceX has endured just getting Falcon 1 up and
running are any guide, Dragon won't be available to fill the gap.

NASA will probably keep on delaying the far end of the gap.

If next year's administration is sensible, it will remove the time limit
on Shuttle and replace it by just allowing the presently-planned number
of flights, with the delivery of the International Expensive Observing
Thing included. NASA clearly want to launch those flights before
2010-10-01, but ISTM that they probably don't have enough margin to
accommodate an unfortunately-timed Bad Weather Month plus a problem such
as the ET sensors - they should not be forced into haste.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old July 18th 08, 01:40 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alain Fournier[_2_]

wrote:

It seems to me that the Dragon, once proven, could be quite a viable
taxi for the ISS.

If the delays that SpaceX has endured just getting Falcon 1 up and
running are any guide, Dragon won't be available to fill the gap.

NASA will probably keep on delaying the far end of the gap.

If next year's administration is sensible, it will remove the time limit
on Shuttle and replace it by just allowing the presently-planned number
of flights, with the delivery of the International Expensive Observing
Thing included. NASA clearly want to launch those flights before
2010-10-01, but ISTM that they probably don't have enough margin to
accommodate an unfortunately-timed Bad Weather Month plus a problem such
as the ET sensors - they should not be forced into haste.

I would guess that that is in reality what they have in mind. But you
don't want to say so. You don't want guys who are going to lose their
jobs after the last launch to find reasons to delay the launch 1 or
2 or 3 more years. So you want to make sure that if you do have to delay
the last launch, it has to be for a short period and for a good reason.
But I would be very surprised if bad weather on 2010-09-30 would
completely scrap the last launch instead of delaying it to the next day.

Alain Fournier

Old July 18th 08, 01:59 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jorge R. Frank

wrote:

It seems to me that the Dragon, once proven, could be quite a viable
taxi for the ISS.

If the delays that SpaceX has endured just getting Falcon 1 up and
running are any guide, Dragon won't be available to fill the gap.

NASA will probably keep on delaying the far end of the gap.

If next year's administration is sensible, it will remove the time limit
on Shuttle and replace it by just allowing the presently-planned number
of flights, with the delivery of the International Expensive Observing
Thing included. NASA clearly want to launch those flights before
2010-10-01, but ISTM that they probably don't have enough margin to
accommodate an unfortunately-timed Bad Weather Month plus a problem such
as the ET sensors - they should not be forced into haste.

Agreed with the sentiment, but there is more margin in the schedule than
you imply. There are four months margin at the end of the manifest, and
a few weeks margin between each vehicle flow.

SpaceX Dragon are Policy 6 March 25th 07 12:19 PM
Space-X Dragon Jeff Findley Policy 46 February 19th 07 04:35 PM
Enter the Blazar Double-A Misc 0 February 26th 05 01:45 AM
Enter, WInter... Twittering One Misc 0 November 18th 04 06:11 AM
A 'Dragon' on the Surface of Titan Ron News 0 April 14th 04 07:27 PM