MARS is to Blame!

Old August 22nd 03, 06:37 PM
Starlord

Default MARS is to Blame!

I've lived out here in the High Mojave Desert for just over 5 years now, and
every summer I've had good skys and good viewing even while set up at the cornor
for Sidewalk Astronomy. Now comes along the year 2003 and MARS puts on a show
that's just awesome and what happens this summer?

1. My car dies, thus stopping me from taking my scope up to the corner.

2. We get MORE bad weather from the south pumping humdie up into the area, thus
putting more clouds into the sky and even if no clouds, causing the upper level
air to be so bad as to cause the 'Looking threw running water" effect, even on
Mars itself..

I've been holding onto an old ORANGE colored TASCO OTA that was left behind in a
trailer people moved out of, am now thinking of taking it out tonight, build a
fire and make a Burnt Offering to the God Of War with it.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

---

Old August 22nd 03, 08:13 PM
John Zinni

"Starlord" wrote in message

I've been holding onto an old ORANGE colored TASCO OTA that was left

behind in a
trailer people moved out of, am now thinking of taking it out tonight,

build a
fire and make a Burnt Offering to the God Of War with it.

Sorry. It has to be a "virgin" scope (although, if they just left it behind,
that may well be the case :-)

Old August 23rd 03, 07:45 PM
Mike

Imagine the god's comical relief when, it turns out, I set up my brand new
$cope in the park directly in the line of a circular night sprinkler. "No!"
I implored as I ran up the hill and put my hand in front of the water jet
from 4 to 8pm; at which time I would return to set up the telescope only to
realize the spray had made its way around to the 4 o'clock position again.
During this time (12 minutes or eternity) I could have sworn my hand was
bleeding from the high pressure nozzle; but alack, my hand now reveals no
scar at all.