6'' Maksutov - a 'planetscope'..?

Old August 22nd 03, 07:21 PM
David Knisely

Hi there. You posted:

I´m about to buy a 6'' Maksutov (1900mm), but my scopedealer claims, that
it´s more a 'planetscope', than a 'deepsky-scope'. As far as I understood
due to it´s narrow field of view. Is that true? If so, can I somehow
compensate for the narrow FOV, by using like a 32mm or higher eyepiece?
Maybe a telecompressor?
I´m an 'experienced beginner', and what I need is something like an
allround-scope - is the Mak a good choise?

The scope will work for some deep-sky viewing. The problem is that it won't
have the really-wide field that some other kinds of telescopes do. Its long
focal length may require longer focal length eyepeices for viewing some of the
larger deep-sky objects, although even then, the larger ones may not fit into
the field of view no matter which eyepiece you use. The baffle and hole in
the primary will limit your true field of view to something less than one
degree on the sky, and the focuser if it is a standard 1.25" one will limit
things even more. You probably might get at most about 0.8 degrees of true
field of view on the sky, which is enough for viewing at least some galaxies,
clusters and nebulae. The scope should work fairly well for planetary viewing
as well. I do know of a number of people with 5 inch Maksutovs, and they seem
to be quite happy with them. Clear skies to you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old August 22nd 03, 07:54 PM
Asger Ellekrog

Default 6'' Maksutov - a 'planetscope'..?

Thanks for the answer/advise!
Yes, it does have a 1.25'' eyepiecetube, I forgot to mention that. So I´ll
reconsider what to do/buy. However, the planets has always been my favourite
objects to watch, so the Mak is still high on my list.
Anyway, I´ll have to decide within a week, so that first light in my new
scope hopefully will be Mars, on the 27th/28th...

/Asger Ellekrog

Btw. Thanks to David W. Knisely aswell, for his mail-respond.
For other stargazers with the same considerations as mine, here´s what he