Voyager and Ulysses to be Terminated?

Old March 11th 05, 03:48 AM
richard schumacher

Default Voyager and Ulysses to be Terminated?

In article ,
Harald Kucharek wrote:

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/voyager1-05a.html

Thoughts? Opinions? Personally I think this one is unlikely, but it
seems to fall within the Bush initiative.

NASA got some flak for killing Hubble, but at least there was a billion
dollar price tag involved. With only a four million dollar price tag on
it, NASA should get nuked for killing the Voyagers.

No, no: thank President Bush and his amazing vanishing budget surplus.
Thanks, President Bush!
Old March 11th 05, 09:54 AM
Revision

These probes are essentially returning no new data. The expenditure of
four $million a year on them would be almost criminal. The only reason
the amount seems small is that NASA routinely spends tens of millions
shuffling paper.

Old March 13th 05, 10:30 PM
jacob navia

richard schumacher wrote:
In article ,
Harald Kucharek wrote:

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/voyager1-05a.html

Thoughts? Opinions? Personally I think this one is unlikely, but it
seems to fall within the Bush initiative.

NASA got some flak for killing Hubble, but at least there was a billion
dollar price tag involved. With only a four million dollar price tag on
it, NASA should get nuked for killing the Voyagers.

No, no: thank President Bush and his amazing vanishing budget surplus.
Thanks, President Bush!

The Voyagers are coming close to the end of the
heliosphere and would have been the first man-made
machines to reach interstellar space.

That kind of space is vastly different than what we find in the
influence sphere of the Sun. (The heliosphere).

The composition, particle/count, etc of interstellar space
will become increasingly interesting when we start to understand
what is the composition of our galactic neighborhood.

Such things are beyond the understanding and intellectual
ability of the Bush administration however.

Stop science, and start the hype about "the moon and beyond".

Once all science is gone from NASA, you shut down it altogether
in the next financial squeeze. The Bush administration needs
1.8 bill dollars a day to get going. This is furnished by
foreign investors, but as even Greenspan acknowledges, this is not
going to last forever.

In the impeding financial squeeze, NASA will completely disappear.