Questions about "The High Frontier"

Old November 9th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Questions about "The High Frontier"

John Schilling wrote:
Right, the way when you pick up a magnet, it sticks to your hand because
of all the iron in your blood.
Iron, as it turns out, is only ferromagnetic in crystalline form. And
while there are some iron oxide minerals that can form ferromagnetic
crystals, that is somewhat unusual and it clearly isn't what Mars is
doing with its iron. Else we'd be calling it the "Blue Steel Planet",
rather than the "Red Planet".

No, it's rusty, and that's why it's orange in color:
http://www.marslab.dk/ResearchSoilMineralogy.htm
Mars Pathfinder carried magnets which attracted Mars dust:
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/science/magnetic.html
The Viking landers carried magnets on their soil scoops, which quickly
became saturated from contact with the soil:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../278/5344/1768
Getting the iron by running magnets over the soil would be far more
effective than waiting for it to accumulate on top of the vehicle, but
that is at least theoretically possible.
You might want to put the top magnet test version in a area where the
dust devils are prevalent, to see what happens.

Pat
Old November 10th 07, 03:05 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 14:33:53 -0800, John Schilling
wrote:

Right, the way when you pick up a magnet, it sticks to your hand because
of all the iron in your blood.

....If only that were the case. Imagine what the clothing industry
could do with that!

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old November 12th 07, 03:24 AM
dropship-dvd dropship-dvd is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Valentine View Post
So I just got through O'Neill's "The High Frontier". There seem to be
some philosophical inconsistencies -- O'Neill claims to be promoting
individual freedoms and small-scale economies by building monolithic
power satellites and kilometer-scale orbiting cities, for instance --
but that's neither here nor there.

What really bothers me is that the entire scheme seems too much like
something out of a Rube Goldberg cartoon. "We'll build a base on the
Moon to deliver material to Earth orbit -- and we'll need at least
some mining ships scouting the asteroids for water and organics too --
which will be used to build a 3-million ton, 10,000-man space station
the size of Manhattan; then that will build 80,000-ton satellites, and
those will transmit solar power back to Earth." (He offers other
justifications for his "Islands" -- building space telescopes, for
example -- but it seems that we've achieved most of those goals
already without them.)

I suppose I want to start off by asking, "Would a Solar Power
Satellite work in the first place?" I know that the idea has gotten a
lot of flak recently; is it still viable or just hopeless?

Dear Sir/Madam,
Do you need the dropship??
Thanks for your special attention to www.hw925shop.com .
We are the specialized watches/DVDS/ jewellery wholesaler in China ,We provide many Classical watches dvds and jewellery ,various hierarchical.all the items are in fine functions and the mode are all same as the original watches . Workmanship is very fine , 100% satisfaction guaranteed . because we do the wholesale business , all the item are all in stock and the quantity are enough. so it is possible for us to supply the competitive price and the large quantity for you . We will became your reliable and regular supplier .
we have had many worldwide customers still now , we are retaining the penrennial cooperation with them , and at the same time hope build a good partner relationship with you ! We will became your reliable and regular supplier .
we are plesure to offer the service for you !
Thanks and best regards
www.hw925shop.com
MSN :

Xena Warrior Princess Season 1 6 DVD BOXSET
STAR WARS COLLECTION 6 DVD
Star Trek The Original Series Season 1-3 22DVD
Smallville Season 5 BOXSET 6 DVD
PROJECT RUNWAY SEASON 1 6 DVD BOXSET
Mr.Bean The Animated Series 4 DVD
Medium Season 1 BOXSET 8 DVD
FAMILY GUY SEASON 1-3 7 DVDs BOXSET
Disney 100 Years of Movies 102 DVD BOXSET
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 1-7 50DVD
Black Adder BOXSET 6 DVD
Barbie Collection 6 DVD BOXSET NEW
Baby Einstein Language Nursery 19DVD+CD NEW
Addested Development Season 1-3 15DVD
Without A Trace Series 2 disc 8 DVD BOXSET
Without A Trace Season 3 disc 8 DVD BOXSET NEW
West Wing(1-6)36DVD NEW
Veronica Mars Season 1 disc 8 dvds
The Next Generation Season 1-7 disc 48
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 6 DVD Collection
The Golden Girls Season 1-5 disc 15 dvds NEW
The Girls Next Door Season 1 disc 5 DVD
The Freshprince of Bel-Air Season 1-3 disc 18 DVD
The Dead Zone Season 1-4 Special Edition disc 15
The Apprentice Season 5 disc 8 DVD
Star Trek Enterprise Season 1-4 disc 27
Star Trek Deep Space Nine Season 1-7 48 dvds
Special Victims Unit Season 1 disc 8 dvds
SIX FEET UNDER Season 1 disc 6 dvds
Roswell Season 1-3 disc 17DVD+1CD NEW
OZ season 1-5 disc 18 DVD
NYPD Blue Season 1-4 disc 16 DVD BOXSET
Nip Tuck Season 1-3 disc 17DVD+1CD NEW
MASH Season 1-11 disc 33 DVD BOXSET
Married with Children Season 1-5 disc 14 dvds
LITTLE BRITAIN SEASON 1-2 DISC 8
Hill Street Blues Season 1 disc 6 DVD BOXSET NEW
Grey\'s Anatomy season 1 disc 4
Frasier Season 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,+11 disc 36 dvds
Everybody Loves Raymond Season 1-6 disc 30 DVDS
ER Season 9,10 disc 16
Emmanaelle The Private Collection 18 DVD BOXSET
Doogie Howser, M.D. Season 1-4 disc 25 DVD
Desperate Housewives Season 1-2 disc 13 dvds
Deadwood Season 3 disc 6 DVD BOXES
Deadwood Season 1-2 disc 11 DVD BOXSET
CSI MIAMI Season 1-3 Special Edtion disc 19
Criminal Minds Season 1 disc 8 DVD BOXSET NEW
Close To Home Season 1 disc 8 DVD
Charmed Season 1-8 disc 64 DVD
Charmed Season 1-7 Get S8 for FREE 42 dvds
BBC Days That Shook The World (二) disc 5 dvds
Barbie Collection 8 DVD BOXSET NEW
Band of Brothers 5DVD
Bad Girls Season 1 disc 6 DVD
friends Complete season 1-10 DISC 36
friends Complete season 1-10 DISC 40+2CD
The Simpsons Complete season 1-17 DISC 96
Lord of the rings all 3 box set 12 dvds
Mash Complete Seasons1-6 Box Set 36 DISC
Star Wars the Complete 6 DVD movie Box set.
Sopranos Season 1-5 Individual Boxset
CSI INDIVIDUAL BOXSET SEASON 1-6 DISC 47
24 HOURS INDIVIDUAL BOXSET SEASON 1-5 DISC 43
West Wing INDIVIDUAL BOXSET SEASON 1-7 DISC 57
South Park INDIVIDUAL BOXSET Season 1-10 DISC 42
THE L WORD Individual Boxset 1-3 DISC 20
star gate INDIVIDUAL BOXSET SEASON 1-9
007 Complete season 20 DVD
Baby Einstein Complete season 21DVD
Star Trek The Original Series 1-3 22DVD
Star Trek Enterprise individual boxset 1-4 DISC 27
Monk Complete Season 1-4 DISC 16D5+1CD
seinfeld Complete season 1-6 DISC 20
The Shield Season 1-4 16 DVD
The OC complete season 1&2 14 DVD Boxset
GILMOR GIRLS COMPLETE Season 1-5 DISC 30
babylon COMPLETE Season 1-5 DISC 30
Six Feet Under COMPLETE Season 1-5 DISC 24
ER COMPLETE Season 1-8 DISC 49
Smallville INDIVIDUAL BOXSET SEASON 1-5 DISC 40
Queer as folk INDIVIDUAL BOXSET SEASON 1-5 DISC 38
Will And Grace INDIVIDUAL BOXSET SEASON 1-7 DISC 42
profiler INDIVIDUAL BOXSET SEASON 1-4 DISC 32
24 HOURS INDIVIDUAL BOXSET SEASON 1-5 DISC 43
Alias COMPLETE Season 1-4 DISC 24
ANGEL COMPLETE Season 1-5 DISC 30
The Shield Season 1,2,3,4,5 individual boxset 35 disc
STAR TREK VOYAGER INDIVIDUAL BOXSETSEASON 1-7
24 HOURS COMPLETE SEASON 1-4 DISC 24
Buffy COMPLETE Season 1-7 DISC 39
CSI Complete season 1-5 DISC 31
Star Trek The NextGeneration Individual Boxset 1-7
SEX AND THE CITY - Seasons 1-6 -SHOEBOX
x-Files season 1-9 DVD individual boxset
Babylon 5 Individual Boxset 1 -- 5
Star Trek Deep Space Nine Individual Boxset 1-7
SIX FEET UNDER SEASON 12345 individual boxset 32 disc
Queer As Folk Complete season 1-5 DISC 24
West Wing COMPLETE SEASON 1-6 DISC 36
SOPRANOS COMPLETE Season 1-6 new and sealed DISC 26
Ally Mcbeal Complete Seasons 1-5 DISC 30
Old November 12th 07, 07:22 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.history
Eivind Kjorstad

Erik Max Francis skreiv:
Eivind Kjorstad wrote:

I think my point stands: there is no clear separation. Certainly no
universally agreed upon separation.

I think the nitpicking is getting pretty silly here. It's pretty
obvious from context what he meant: A robot can do its job without
human assistance, but a mere machine cannot and only serves to help
humans get the job done. If the job can't get done without constant,
direct human intervention, then a robot is not at work.

I don't think it's silly or nitpicky in the least.

The entire premise of the thread is that *if* we ever have mining or
other large-scale industrial activities in space, it'd seem there's
three main ways of doing it.

Having a human crew that works for a while, then returns to their
families on earth, the oilrig model.

Having a human crew that -live- close to the work-area, in
space-stations or planetary bases.

Having robots do the work.

My point is that -more- capable machine leads to -less- needs of a human
crew. A smaller crew makes a difference. If your mega-mine on mars needs
10 human beings to be around and handle the corner-cases, that gives
quite different logistics to the situation if you need a crew of 1000 to
do the daily work.

Is a machine that can work independently for a minute, but then needs
human instruction a robot ? How about one that can work for an hour, a
day, a week or a month ?

Even without truly unmanned mines, a mine that has such a high level of
robotics, or machinery, whatever you call it, that it needs only say 1%
of the staffing of a current typical mine seems very much possible to me.

Furthermore, if the tasks that need human involvement are rare enough,
then you can live with doing those tasks in an inefficient matter, such
as doing a uncommon repair by remote-control with large time-lag. That
would be impractical if the situation came up frequently.

Eivind Kjørstad
Old November 12th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Considering the amount of iron oxides and compounds on Mars, it could be
something as simple as a magnetized conveyor belt on top of the device
that rotates around once every couple of hours and scrapes off the
accumulated dust that sticks to it into a hopper on its underside.

Channeling that getitonyourown guy who's always posting is napkin drawings
on his website and later claims that the big, bad, aerospace companies are
stealing his ideas? I know I have his name wrong, but he's killfiled, so I
don't remember the exact name.

Jeff
--
"When transportation is cheap, frequent, reliable, and flexible,
everything else becomes easier."

Old November 12th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:
Channeling that getitonyourown guy who's always posting is napkin drawings
on his website and later claims that the big, bad, aerospace companies are
stealing his ideas? I know I have his name wrong, but he's killfiled, so I
don't remember the exact name.

Unless you were in a major dust storm this concept wouldn't be too
effective, but using magnets to gather iron ore off of the surface is a
very workable proposition.

Pat
Old November 13th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

Jeff Findley wrote:
Channeling that getitonyourown guy who's always posting is napkin
drawings on his website and later claims that the big, bad, aerospace
companies are stealing his ideas? I know I have his name wrong, but he's
killfiled, so I don't remember the exact name.

Unless you were in a major dust storm this concept wouldn't be too
effective, but using magnets to gather iron ore off of the surface is a
very workable proposition.

Possibly, but I'd like to see a bit of R&D done on this, and obviously a
prototype actually flown to Mars to try it out, before I'd bet the farm on
it. If you use permanent magnets, I wonder how you'd get the material off
of them. If you use electromagnets, I wonder how you'd power them (they're
pretty power hungry).

Jeff

Old November 13th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.history
IsaacKuo

On Nov 13, 8:41 am, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Unless you were in a major dust storm this concept wouldn't be too
effective, but using magnets to gather iron ore off of the surface is a
very workable proposition.

Possibly, but I'd like to see a bit of R&D done on this, and obviously a
prototype actually flown to Mars to try it out, before I'd bet the farm on
it. If you use permanent magnets, I wonder how you'd get the material off
of them. If you use electromagnets, I wonder how you'd power them (they're
pretty power hungry).

The way recycling does it is to have a belt and a permanent magnet.
Magnetic stuff is lifted up against the belt by the magnet. The belt
is moving, so it moves the stuff stuck against it. Once the stuff
is moved beyond the region where the magnet is, it falls off the belt.

Isaac Kuo

Old November 14th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.history
Troy

On Nov 14, 2:05 am, IsaacKuo wrote:
On Nov 13, 8:41 am, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Unless you were in a major dust storm this concept wouldn't be too
effective, but using magnets to gather iron ore off of the surface is a
very workable proposition.

Possibly, but I'd like to see a bit of R&D done on this, and obviously a
prototype actually flown to Mars to try it out, before I'd bet the farm on
it. If you use permanent magnets, I wonder how you'd get the material off
of them. If you use electromagnets, I wonder how you'd power them (they're
pretty power hungry).

The way recycling does it is to have a belt and a permanent magnet.
Magnetic stuff is lifted up against the belt by the magnet. The belt
is moving, so it moves the stuff stuck against it. Once the stuff
is moved beyond the region where the magnet is, it falls off the belt.

Isaac Kuo

Seems a pretty energy-inefficient way to mine dust. The amount of dust
suspended at 0.3% of earth's atmospheric density would be somewhat
trivial, unless you're talking about massive magnetic fields. I can
see this as a way to scoop up windblown dirt in the upper Venusian
atmosphere, but on Mars why bother? What happened to good old shovels?

Old November 14th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.arts.sf.science,sci.space.history
IsaacKuo

On Nov 13, 6:35 pm, Troy wrote:
On Nov 14, 2:05 am, IsaacKuo wrote:

The way recycling does it is to have a belt and a permanent magnet.
Magnetic stuff is lifted up against the belt by the magnet. The belt
is moving, so it moves the stuff stuck against it. Once the stuff
is moved beyond the region where the magnet is, it falls off the belt.

Seems a pretty energy-inefficient way to mine dust. The amount of dust
suspended at 0.3% of earth's atmospheric density would be somewhat
trivial, unless you're talking about massive magnetic fields. I can
see this as a way to scoop up windblown dirt in the upper Venusian
atmosphere, but on Mars why bother? What happened to good old shovels?

This wasn't for mining dust in the air, but regolith from the
ground underneath a (slow) moving vehicle.

I found a reference on how much dust there is in the Martian
atmosphere and the amount isn't enough for practical
"filter feeding" mining. But rolling a magnetic conveyor belt
over the surface could pick up lots of regolith.

Isaac Kuo