how will the ISS appear to the unaided eye once the new pieces are added ?

Old September 10th 06, 12:50 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Sprite Scaler

Default how will the ISS appear to the unaided eye once the new pieces are added ?

I have been observing the ISS with just the unaided eye since April
2002.

when the current shuttle Atlantis mission is complete and the new truss
& solar panel pieces are added, how significantly brighter/larger can
we expect the ISS to look when it passes near-directly overhead ?

Old September 10th 06, 03:07 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
johnny@.

Neon Knight wrote:
"Sprite Scaler" wrote in
oups.com:

when the current shuttle Atlantis mission is complete and the new
truss & solar panel pieces are added, how significantly
brighter/larger can we expect the ISS to look when it passes
near-directly overhead ?

Instead of a bright light the size of a mosquito, it will look like a
bright light the size of a mosquito.

Since you are so bright, what would it look like through the largest
telescope on earth?

--
"Our priorities are to go after illegal immigrants committing crime.
If they are law-abiding citizens, we don't have the resources to go

George Bush
L.A. Times, November 8, 2001
Old September 10th 06, 05:36 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

johnny@. wrote:
Since you are so bright, what would it look like through the largest
telescope on earth?

If you could track it accurately, you could probably see in the
windows. Seriously. Here's what it looks like from an 8-inch backyard
telescope:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap011012.html

Old September 10th 06, 08:13 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
John Doe

" wrote:
If you could track it accurately, you could probably see in the
windows. Seriously. Here's what it looks like from an 8-inch backyard
telescope:

There are websites that give you accurate times for viewing
opportunities (look for "jpass" ) based on your home's latitude and
longitude).

It takes a few times to get used to how reliable it is in terms of
visibility and brightness. You may not see it from horizon to horizon
depending on air quality for instance. And there are passes where the
station is far more visible than others due to its angle between the
sun, the station and you.

There are also moments where the "angle" may be perfect and for a second
or two, you may be seeing a large flash. (there is a term for this, but
it escapes me at the moment).

Once built-up, I guess its brightness will greatly depend on the
stations's orientation versus sun and you. It would either be very
bright or just as it is right now (a moving star to the naked eye).
Old September 10th 06, 09:13 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Paul Schlyter[_2_]

In article ,
johnny@. johnny@. wrote:

Neon Knight wrote:
"Sprite Scaler" wrote in
oups.com:

when the current shuttle Atlantis mission is complete and the new
truss & solar panel pieces are added, how significantly
brighter/larger can we expect the ISS to look when it passes
near-directly overhead ?

Instead of a bright light the size of a mosquito, it will look like a
bright light the size of a mosquito.

Since you are so bright, what would it look like through the largest
telescope on earth?

You cannot look through the largest telescope on Earth. It's designed
for photography only.

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://stjarnhimlen.se/
Old September 10th 06, 11:58 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Jonathan Silverlight[_1_]

In message , John Doe writes
" wrote:
If you could track it accurately, you could probably see in the
windows. Seriously. Here's what it looks like from an 8-inch backyard
telescope:

There are websites that give you accurate times for viewing
opportunities (look for "jpass" ) based on your home's latitude and
longitude).

It takes a few times to get used to how reliable it is in terms of
visibility and brightness. You may not see it from horizon to horizon
depending on air quality for instance. And there are passes where the
station is far more visible than others due to its angle between the
sun, the station and you.

There are also moments where the "angle" may be perfect and for a second
or two, you may be seeing a large flash. (there is a term for this, but
it escapes me at the moment).

A flash? :-) I saw a reflection off the Mir station some years ago, and
my first thought was "Moscow, we have a problem".

Heavens Above is the obvious site to get predictions
http://www.heavens-above.com/ Times, maps and everything for your
location.
Changing the subject slightly, does the Shuttle or ISS still transmit on
VHF? Watching NASA TV yesterday I noticed that the Shuttle passed
directly over me a few minutes after launch. It would be fun to hear
them on my own gear rather than via NASA TV.
Old September 10th 06, 10:41 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
johnny@.

wrote:
johnny@. wrote:
Since you are so bright, what would it look like through the largest
telescope on earth?

If you could track it accurately, you could probably see in the
windows. Seriously. Here's what it looks like from an 8-inch backyard
telescope:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap011012.html

Thanks for the information, especially the where and when to look.

L.A. Times, November 8, 2001
Old September 11th 06, 02:50 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe,sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
Skywise

Jonathan Silverlight wrote in
:

In message , John Doe writes
" wrote:

Snipola

There are also moments where the "angle" may be perfect and for a second
or two, you may be seeing a large flash. (there is a term for this, but
it escapes me at the moment).

A flash? :-) I saw a reflection off the Mir station some years ago, and
my first thought was "Moscow, we have a problem".

Snipola

Try "flare". For example, an Iridium flare.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?