New Hubble Telescope price tag ?????

Old January 6th 05, 03:12 PM

Default New Hubble Telescope price tag ?????

Question.

With today's technological advances, how much would it cost Nasa to
build and launch a new Hubble Telescope? I'm not talking state of the
art here, merely a Hubble size telescope that is designed to be
serviceable by robot missions.

Old January 6th 05, 06:14 PM
Joseph Lazio

"d" == davidia8 writes:

d With today's technological advances, how much would it cost Nasa to
d build and launch a new Hubble Telescope? I'm not talking state of
d the art here, merely a Hubble size telescope that is designed to be
d serviceable by robot missions.

I don't know, but I'll suggest that it is irrelevant. We're asking
different questions than in the 1970s (1960s?) when Hubble was
designed. There are plans for a successor telescope, called the James
Webb Space Telescope, but it will be considerably different than the
HST.

--
Lt. Lazio, HTML police | e-mail:
No means no, stop rape. |
Old January 7th 05, 03:17 PM
Dwight Williams

Joseph Lazio wrote:
"d" == davidia8 writes:

d With today's technological advances, how much would it cost Nasa to
d build and launch a new Hubble Telescope? I'm not talking state of
d the art here, merely a Hubble size telescope that is designed to be
d serviceable by robot missions.

I don't know, but I'll suggest that it is irrelevant. We're asking
different questions than in the 1970s (1960s?) when Hubble was
designed. There are plans for a successor telescope, called the James
Webb Space Telescope, but it will be considerably different than the
HST.

I'd imagine that different goals were in mind from the beginning, but is
there a way to compare the two 'scopes' designs and intentions?

--

Dwight Williams, Storyteller
http://web.ncf.ca/ad696/
Old January 8th 05, 02:04 AM
Greg Hennessy

DrPostman wrote:
The James Webb is designed to be better than the Hubble, not totally
different.

Well, if you like UV astronomy, it won't be better.

Old January 10th 05, 04:22 AM
Dwight Williams

DrPostman wrote:

True, but there is a lot of support for a World Space Observatory
and the support is gaining. If the funding comes together it
could be launched in about 5 years. The plan is for the WSO
to be UV only and would be ten times more powerful than
the Hubble's UV capability. There are currently 14 nations
that have expressed support for the project. The US,
unfortunately, isn't one of them. The Russians were taking
the lead on the project but I am not sure if that still the
case.

Is Canada on that list of supporters yet?