Daily Rpt #5063

Old March 30th 10, 04:17 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Bassford, Lynn[_2_]

Default Daily Rpt #5063

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE - Continuing to Collect World Class Science

DAILY REPORT #5063

PERIOD COVERED: 5am March 29 - 5am March 30, 2010 (DOY 088/09:00z-089/09:00z)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

ACS/WFC 11995

CCD Daily Monitor (Part 2)

This program comprises basic tests for measuring the read noise and
dark current of the ACS WFC and for tracking the growth of hot pixels.
The recorded frames are used to create bias and dark reference images
for science data reduction and calibration. This program will be
executed four days per week (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun) for the duration of
Cycle 17. To facilitate scheduling, this program is split into three
proposals. This proposal covers 320 orbits (20 weeks) from 1 February
2010 to 20 June 2010.

COS/FUV 11895

FUV Detector Dark Monitor

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor the FUV detector dark rate
by taking long science exposures without illuminating the detector.
The detector dark rate and spatial distribution of counts will be
compared to pre-launch and SMOV data in order to verify the nominal
operation of the detector. Variations of count rate as a function of
orbital position will be analyzed to find dependence of dark rate on
proximity to the SAA. Dependence of dark rate as function of time will
also be tracked.

COS/NUV 11896

NUV Spectroscopic Sensitivity Monitoring

The purpose of this proposal is to monitor sensitivity of each NUV
grating mode to detect any changes due to contamination or other
causes.

COS/NUV/FUV 11598

How Galaxies Acquire their Gas: A Map of Multiphase Accretion and
Feedback in Gaseous Galaxy Halos

We propose to address two of the biggest open questions in galaxy
formation - how galaxies acquire their gas and how they return it to
the IGM - with a concentrated COS survey of diffuse multiphase gas in
the halos of SDSS galaxies at z = 0.15 - 0.35. Our chief science goal
is to establish a basic set of observational facts about the physical
state, metallicity, and kinematics of halo gas, including the sky
covering fraction of hot and cold material, the metallicity of infall
and outflow, and correlations with galaxy stellar mass, type, and
color - all as a function of impact parameter from 10 - 150 kpc.
Theory suggests that the bimodality of galaxy colors, the shape of the
luminosity function, and the mass-metallicity relation are all
influenced at a fundamental level by accretion and feedback, yet these
gas processes are poorly understood and cannot be predicted robustly
from first principles. We lack even a basic observational assessment
of the multiphase gaseous content of galaxy halos on 100 kpc scales,
and we do not know how these processes vary with galaxy properties.
This ignorance is presently one of the key impediments to
understanding galaxy formation in general. We propose to use the
high-resolution gratings G130M and G160M on the Cosmic Origins
Spectrograph to obtain sensitive column density measurements of a
comprehensive suite of multiphase ions in the spectra of 43 z 1 QSOs
lying behind 43 galaxies selected from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey.
In aggregate, these sightlines will constitute a statistically sound
map of the physical state and metallicity of gaseous halos, and
subsets of the data with cuts on galaxy mass, color, and SFR will seek
out predicted variations of gas properties with galaxy properties. Our
interpretation of these data will be aided by state-of-the-art
hydrodynamic simulations of accretion and feedback, in turn providing
information to refine and test such models. We will also use Keck,
MMT, and Magellan (as needed) to obtain optical spectra of the QSOs to
measure cold gas with Mg II, and optical spectra of the galaxies to
measure SFRs and to look for outflows. In addition to our other
science goals, these observations will help place the Milky Way's
population of multiphase, accreting High Velocity Clouds (HVCs) into a
global context by identifying analogous structures around other
galaxies. Our program is designed to make optimal use of the unique
capabilities of COS to address our science goals and also generate a
rich dataset of other absorption-line systems

S/C 12046

COS FUV DCE Memory Dump

Whenever the FUV detector high voltage is on, count rate and current
draw information is collected, monitored, and saved to DCE memory.
Every 10 msec the detector samples the currents from the HV power
supplies (HVIA, HVIB) and the AUX power supply (AUXI). The last 1000
samples are saved in memory, along with a histogram of the number of
occurrences of each current value.

In the case of a HV transient (known as a "crackle" on FUSE), where
one of these currents exceeds a preset threshold for a persistence
time, the HV will shut down, and the DCE memory will be dumped and
examined as part of the recovery procedure. However, if the current
exceeds the threshold for less than the persistence time (a
"mini-crackle" in FUSE parlance), there is no way to know without
dumping DCE memory. By dumping and examining the histograms regularly,
we will be able to monitor any changes in the rate of "mini-crackles"
and thus learn something about the state of the detector.

STIS/CC 11845

CCD Dark Monitor Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS/CC 11847

CCD Bias Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS/CCD 11567

Boron Abundances in Rapidly Rotating Early-B Stars

Models of rotation in early-B stars predict that rotationally driven
mixing should deplete surface boron abundances during the
main-sequence lifetime of many stars. However, recent work has shown
that many boron depleted stars are intrinsically slow rotators for
which models predict no depletion should have occurred, while
observations of nitrogen in some more rapidly rotating stars show less
mixing than the models predict. Boron can provide unique information
on the earliest stages of mixing in B stars, but previous surveys have
been biased towards narrow- lined stars because of the difficulty in
measuring boron abundances in rapidly rotating stars. The two targets
observed as part of our Cycle 13 SNAP program 10175, just before STIS
failed, demonstrate that it is possible to make useful boron abundance
measurements for early-B stars with Vsin(i) above 100 km/s. We propose
to extend that survey to a large enough sample of stars to allow
statistically significant tests of models of rotational mixing in
early-B stars.

STIS/MA1/MA2 11857

STIS Cycle 17 MAMA Dark Monitor

This proposal monitors the behavior of the dark current in each of the
MAMA detectors.

The basic monitor takes two 1380s ACCUM darks each week with each
detector. However, starting Oct 5, pairs are only included for weeks
that the LRP has external MAMA observations planned. The weekly pairs
of exposures for each detector are linked so that they are taken at
opposite ends of the same SAA free interval. This pairing of exposures
will make it easier to separate long and short term temporal
variability from temperature dependent changes.

For both detectors, additional blocks of exposures are taken once
every six months. These are groups of five 1314s FUV-MAMA Time-Tag
darks or five 3x315s NUV ACCUM darks distributed over a single
SAA-free interval. This will give more information on the brightness
of the FUV MAMA dark current as a function of the amount of time that
the HV has been on, and for the NUV MAMA will give a better measure of
the short term temperature dependence.

WFC3/ACS/IR 11142

Revealing the Physical Nature of Infrared Luminous Galaxies at
0.3z2.7 Using HST and Spitzer

We aim to determine physical properties of IR luminous galaxies at
0.3z2.7 by requesting coordinated HST/NIC2 and MIPS 70um
observations of a unique, 24um flux-limited sample with complete
Spitzer mid-IR spectroscopy. The 150 sources investigated in this
program have S(24um) 0.8mJy and their mid-IR spectra have already
provided the majority targets with spectroscopic redshifts
(0.3z2.7). The proposed 150~orbits of NIC2 and 66~hours of MIPS 70um
will provide the physical measurements of the light distribution at
the rest-frame ~8000A and better estimates of the bolometric
luminosity. Combining these parameters together with the rich suite of
spectral diagnostics from the mid-IR spectra, we will (1) measure how
common mergers are among LIRGs and ULIRGs at 0.3z2.7, and establish
if major mergers are the drivers of z1 ULIRGs, as in the local
Universe, (2) study the co-evolution of star formation and blackhole
accretion by investigating the relations between the fraction of
starburst/AGN measured from mid-IR spectra vs. HST morphologies,
L(bol) and z, and (3) obtain the current best estimates of the far-IR
emission, thus L(bol) for this sample, and establish if the relative
contribution of mid-to-far IR dust emission is correlated with
morphology (resolved vs. unresolved).

WFC3/IR 11591

Are Low-Luminosity Galaxies Responsible for Cosmic Reionization?

Our group has demonstrated that massive clusters, acting as powerful
cosmic lenses, can constrain the abundance and properties of
low-luminosity star-forming sources beyond z~6; such sources are
thought to be responsible for ending cosmic reionization. The large
magnification possible in the critical regions of well-constrained
clusters brings sources into view that lie at or beyond the limits of
conventional exposures such as the UDF. We have shown that the
combination of HST and Spitzer is particularly effective in delivering
the physical properties of these distant sources, constraining their
mass, age and past star formation history. Indirectly, we therefore
gain a valuable glimpse to yet earlier epochs. Recognizing the result
(and limitations) of blank field surveys, we propose a systematic
search through 10 lensing clusters with ACS/F814W and
WFC3/[F110W+F160W] (in conjunction with existing deep IRAC data). Our
goal is to measure with great accuracy the luminosity function at z~7
over a range of at least 3 magnitude, based on the identification of
about 50 lensed galaxies at 6.5z8. Our survey will mitigate cosmic
variance and extend the search both to lower luminosities and, by
virtue of the WFC3/IRAC combination, to higher redshift. Thanks to the
lensing amplification spectroscopic follow-up will be possible and
make our findings the most robust prior to the era of JWST and the
ELTs.

WFC3/IR 11696

Infrared Survey of Star Formation Across Cosmic Time

We propose to use the unique power of WFC3 slitless spectroscopy to
measure the evolution of cosmic star formation from the end of the
reionization epoch at z6 to the close of the galaxy- building era at
z~0.3.Pure parallel observations with the grisms have proven to be
efficient for identifying line emission from galaxies across a broad
range of redshifts. The G102 grism on WFC3 was designed to extend this
capability to search for Ly-alpha emission from the first galaxies.
Using up to 250 orbits of pure parallel WFC3 spectroscopy, we will
observe about 40 deep (4-5 orbit) fields with the combination of G102
and G141, and about 20 shallow (2-3 orbit) fields with G141 alone.

Our primary science goals at the highest redshifts a (1) Detect Lya
in ~100 galaxies with z5.6 and measure the evolution of the Lya
luminosity function, independent of of cosmic variance; 2) Determine
the connection between emission line selected and continuum-break
selected galaxies at these high redshifts, and 3) Search for the
proposed signature of neutral hydrogen absorption at re-ionization. At
intermediate redshifts we will (4) Detect more than 1000 galaxies in
Halpha at 0.5z1.8 to measure the evolution of the
extinction-corrected star formation density across the peak epoch of
star formation. This is over an order-of-magnitude improvement in the
current statistics, from the NICMOS Parallel grism survey. (5) Trace
``cosmic downsizing" from 0.5z2.2; and (6) Estimate the evolution in
reddening and metallicty in star- forming galaxies and measure the
evolution of the Seyfert population. For hundreds of spectra we will
be able to measure one or even two line pair ratios -- in particular,
the Balmer decrement and [OII]/[OIII] are sensitive to gas reddening
and metallicity. As a bonus, the G102 grism offers the possibility of
detecting Lya emission at z=7-8.8.

To identify single-line Lya emitters, we will exploit the wide
0.8--1.9um wavelength coverage of the combined G102+G141 spectra. All
[OII] and [OIII] interlopers detected in G102 will be reliably
separated from true LAEs by the detection of at least one strong line
in the G141 spectrum, without the need for any ancillary data. We
waive all proprietary rights to our data and will make high-level data
products available through the ST/ECF.

WFC3/IR/S/C 11929

IR Dark Current Monitor

Analyses of ground test data showed that dark current signals are more
reliably removed from science data using darks taken with the same
exposure sequences as the science data, than with a single dark
current image scaled by desired exposure time. Therefore, dark current
images must be collected using all sample sequences that will be used
in science observations. These observations will be used to monitor
changes in the dark current of the WFC3-IR channel on a day-to-day
basis, and to build calibration dark current ramps for each of the
sample sequences to be used by Gos in Cycle 17. For each sample
sequence/array size combination, a median ramp will be created and
delivered to the calibration database system (CDBS).

WFC3/IR/S/C 12087

WFC3 IR subarray anomaly

Certain combinations of WFC3 IR subarray size and sample sequence
yield images that show a sharp change in background level that exactly
bi-sects each detector amplifier quadrant. The change in level has an
amplitude of a few DN per pixel. The cause of this anomaly and its
apparent correlation with subarray size and sample sequence is not
understood. Given the 4 available subarray sizes and 11 available
readout sample sequences, there are a total of 44 possible subarray
mode readout combinations. To date, 14 of those combinations have been
used on-orbit in either calibration and GO programs. Of those, 3
combinations show the anomaly. This program will obtain IR dark
exposures in the remaining 30 readout combinations that have not yet
been explored. This will add to our knowledge of which combinations
show the anomaly and will therefore help us to understand its origin.

WFC3/IR/S/C 12097

Additional IR Subarray Dark Current Measurements (in support of GO
programs 11205, 11580)

This proposal will produce IR dark images necessary to calibrate GO
science observations (already taken, see proposals 11205 and 11580)
that use observing modes not supported by the existing IR dark current
monitor (proposal 11929). These modes are as follows:
SQ256SUB/SPARS100, SQ256SUB/SPARS200, SQ512SUB/SPARS10,
SQ512SUB/SPARS100, and SQ512SUB/SPARS200.

WFC3/UVI/IR 11557

The Nature of Low-Ionization BAL QSOs

The rare subclass of optically-selected QSOs known as low-ionization
broad absorption line (LoBAL) QSOs show signs of high-velocity gas
outflows and reddened continua indicative of dust obscuration. Recent
studies show that galaxies hosting LoBAL QSOs tend to be ultraluminous
infrared systems that are undergoing mergers, and that have dominant
young ( 100 Myr) stellar populations. Such studies support the idea
that LoBAL QSOs represent a short- lived phase early in the life of
QSOs, when powerful AGN-driven winds are blowing away the dust and gas
surrounding the QSO. If so, understanding LoBALs would be critical in
the study of phenomena regulating black hole and galaxy evolution,
such as AGN feedback and the early stages of nuclear accretion. These
results, however, come from very small samples that may have serious
selection biases. We are therefore taking a more aggressive approach
by conducting a systematic multiwavelength study of a volume limited
sample of LoBAL QSOs at 0.5 z 0.6 drawn from SDSS. We propose to
image their host galaxies in two bands using WFC3/UVIS and WFC3/IR to
study the morphologies for signs of recent tidal interactions and to
map their interaction and star forming histories. We will thus
determine whether LoBAL QSOs are truly exclusively found in young
merging systems that are likely to be in the early stages of nuclear
accretion.

WFC3/UVIS 11583

The Star Formation Rate In Nearby Elliptical Galaxies

Small amounts of star formation in normal elliptical galaxies are
suggested by several results: some surprisingly young ages from
optical line-index dating; cooling X-ray gas; and mid-IR dust
emission. Previously, it was difficult to detect low levels of star
formation, but UV imaging with WFPC3 will permit us to conclusively
identify individual O/B stars in nearby normal ellipticals by their UV
colors and magnitudes. This technique is orders of magnitude more
sensitive than previous methods, allowing detections of star formation
to levels of 1E-4 Msolar/yr. Proof of concept is provided by a very
long UV ACS observation of M87 that revealed many O/B stars. We
propose observations of four normal ellipticals where recent star
formation is likely. This will yield their star formation rates and
the locations of such activity.

WFC3/UVIS 11661

The Black Hole Mass - Bulge Luminosity Relationship for the Nearest
Reverberation-Mapped AGNs

We propose to obtain WFC3 host galaxy images of the eight nearest AGNs
with masses from reverberation mapping, and one star as a PSF model.
These images will allow us to determine with unprecedented accuracy
the bulge luminosities of the host galaxies, a goal which is not
achievable from the ground due to the blurring of the very bright PSF
component under typical, and even very good, seeing conditions.
High-resolution ACS images of the host galaxies of more luminous AGNs
reveal that the black hole mass-bulge luminosity and black hole
mass-bulge mass relationships for AGNs are not well constrained and
arise from what appear to be fundamentally flawed data sets. With the
addition of the images proposed here to our current sample of ACS
images, we will be able to extend our determinations of the black hole
mass- bulge luminosity and black hole mass-bulge mass relationships
for AGNs by an order of magnitude and test our preliminary results for
these fundamentally important relationships against those previously
determined for quiescent galaxies.

WFC3/UVIS 11786

HST Observations of Astrophysically Important Visual Binaries

This is a continuation of a project begun in Cycle 7 and continued up
through Cycle 14. The program consists of annual FGS or WFPC2
observations of three visual binary stars that will yield fundamental
astrophysical results, once their orbits and masses are determined. In
Cycle 17 we are changing WFPC2 to WFC3.

Our targets are the following: (1) Procyon (P = 40.9 yr), for which
our first WFPC2 images yielded an extremely accurate angular
separation of the bright F star and its much fainter white- dwarf
companion. Combined with ground-based astrometry of the bright star,
our observation significantly revised downward the derived masses, and
brought Procyon A into much better agreement with theoretical
evolutionary masses for the first time. With the continued monitoring
proposed here, we will obtain masses to an accuracy of better than 1%,
providing a testbed for theories of both Sun-like stars and white
dwarfs. (2) G 107-70, a close double white dwarf (P = 18.5 yr) that
promises to add two accurate masses to the tiny handful of white-dwarf
masses that are directly known from dynamical measurements. (3) Mu Cas
(P = 20.8 yr), a famous nearby metal-deficient G dwarf for which
accurate masses will lead to the stars' helium contents, with
cosmological implications. For all three stars, we will also be
setting increasingly stringent limits on the presence of
planetary-mass bodies in the systems.

WFC3/UVIS 11905

WFC3 UVIS CCD Daily Monitor

The behavior of the WFC3 UVIS CCD will be monitored daily with a set
of full-frame, four-amp bias and dark frames. A smaller set of 2Kx4K
subarray biases are acquired at less frequent intervals throughout the
cycle to support subarray science observations. The internals from
this proposal, along with those from the anneal procedure (Proposal
11909), will be used to generate the necessary superbias and superdark
reference files for the calibration pipeline (CDBS).

WFC3/UVIS 11908

Cycle 17: UVIS Bowtie Monitor

Ground testing revealed an intermittent hysteresis type effect in the
UVIS detector (both CCDs) at the level of ~1%, lasting hours to days.
Initially found via an unexpected bowtie-shaped feature in flatfield
ratios, subsequent lab tests on similar e2v devices have since shown
that it is also present as simply an overall offset across the entire
CCD, i.e., a QE offset without any discernable pattern. These lab
tests have further revealed that overexposing the detector to count
levels several times full well fills the traps and effectively
neutralizes the bowtie. Each visit in this proposal acquires a set of
three 3x3 binned internal flatfields: the first unsaturated image will
be used to detect any bowtie, the second, highly exposed image will
neutralize the bowtie if it is present, and the final image will allow
for verification that the bowtie is gone.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

12232 - GSAcq(1,2,1) at 089/06:35:20z and REAcq(1,2,1) at
089/07:40:38z and 089/09:16:29z resulted in fine lock backup on FGS1.

Observations possibly affected: COS 34-36 Proposal ID#11598, WFC3
49-51 Proposal ID#11700

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL
FGS GSAcq 9 9
FGS REAcq 7 7
OBAD with Maneuver 6 6

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily #4069 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 28th 06 05:22 PM
Daily #4068 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 13th 06 02:26 PM
Daily #4067 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 10th 06 01:39 PM
Daily #4065 Joe Cooper Hubble 0 March 8th 06 01:33 PM