Speaking of Henry Spencer

Old July 23rd 08, 04:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Default Speaking of Henry Spencer

Hi Everybody? Is the STICK dead yet?

Just a quick update, the Fujitsu hard disk in the 'Henry Spencer' died,
a head crash worse than I have ever before witnessed in my entire life,
probably a result of lack of use, and so I put the SCSI disk drive back
into the beloved Henry Spencer, and then I went out on eBay and bought a
used AMD K6-2+ CPU for $0.25 (yes 25 cents, plus $4.00 shipping, lol)
and reset the voltage to 2.0 volts, and the multiplier to 4.5 (450 MHz)
and the Henry Spencer experienced an epiphany, a transformation, a real
upgrade in performance. Plus it runs a lot cooler now, this is the chip
with the on chip fast cache RAM and fabbed at 0.18 microns, they sell
like hotcakes on eBay, flap jacks. The German guy who was selling K6-3+s
for $30.00 bucks brand new just sold out, and another guy has a tray of
10 brand new K6-2+s already bid up to $50.00. Smaller is better, Henry.

That SCSI hard disk is still cranking out a lot of heat, though.
Old July 30th 08, 04:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Jul 23, 11:36*am, kT wrote:
[...]

Look here kT, we both like Henry and we both know that Henry's system
is less than he deserves. I know you're willing to donate a system,
but so am I. I live in a college town (University of Maryland, College
Park). That said, I recently acquired a 2.6 GHz E-Systems computer
complete with Windows XP, that I am willing to donate to a useful
cause. E-Systems is not a top of the line system, however, it is
better than what you are trying to send to Henry and better than what
he has now.

I'll donate what I have, but I want to make sure it gets into good
hands...

Eric
Old July 30th 08, 12:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Eric Chomko wrote:
On Jul 23, 11:36 am, kT wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure Henry, like the rest of us, got past his K-6 bottleneck.

I only run the 'Henry Spencer' because I am a 'computer enthusiast'.
I needed to prove to myself that I've still got the 'right stuff'.
Besides, it's a K6-2+, those chips are still selling for $20.00.

I suggest you check out the trade in old and obsolete CPUs.
People all over the world are doing this, it's fun as hell!
That being said, I still draw the line at K6-3+s and PIIIs.

In other words, I only run the PIIs until I can find a PIII to put in
them, although I still have a few legacy A440LXs which I run for fun.

The driving factor here is power and heat, not functionality or speed.

Here is the link, only seven of them left now, get them while you can :

http://cgi.ebay.com/K6-III-450-ACZ-K...2em118Q2el1247

Only 14 SSMEs left! The aftermarket for those things is gonna be HUGE!
Old July 31st 08, 04:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Jul 30, 7:57*am, kT wrote:
Eric Chomko wrote:
On Jul 23, 11:36 am, kT wrote:
[...]

The whole "Classic Computer" (see my collection he
http://home.comcast.net/~pne.chomko/comp_list.htm) thing has gone into
a case where the older systems cutoff point from a timeline
perspective is not moving forward. What this means is that unless you
have something from before mid 1980s and earlier, you have nothing
from a collectable computer perspective. Everything in the past 20+
years is NOT collectable with few exceptions such as the NeXT
computer. Basically there exists three categories of home computer/PCs
that exist. The early stuff that is collectable, a bunch of stuff that
is too old to use and is not collectable and newer stuff that people
use. The earliest category grows very slowly. The middle category
grows very rapidly. And the last category is basically the computer
market as we know it today of which most people use daily. When
something is no longer usable it goes into the ever growing middle
category.

In other words, I only run the PIIs until I can find a PIII to put in
them, although I still have a few legacy A440LXs which I run for fun.

All of which, though fun, will never have any resale value to anyone.
More people would rather have the Pentium 1 chip that had the floating
point error, as a novelty, rather than a PII or a PIII system.

The driving factor here is power and heat, not functionality or speed.

Too slow and nobody will use it.

Here is the link, only seven of them left now, get them while you can :

http://cgi.ebay.com/K6-III-450-ACZ-K...G_W0QQitemZ260...

I collect chips as others do and have a few K6s. I like them.

Only 14 SSMEs left! The aftermarket for those things is gonna be HUGE!

Ah....no... Think middle category of ever growing stuff. Supply and
demand. The supply will outpace demand for a long long time.

Eric
Old August 1st 08, 02:18 AM posted to sci.space.history
Neil Gerace[_2_]

I have an 8085, ISTR they are still available new.
Old August 1st 08, 03:49 AM posted to sci.space.history
kT

Neil Gerace wrote:

I have an 8085, ISTR they are still available new.

Has anyone seen one of these yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIA_C7

Supposedly they're rare already. Built in value that way.

Supposedly, from what I hear, these and the multitude of spinoffs from
this sort of chip design methodology are going to be fairly successful.

We'll have to see. All of this stuff came out of K6-2/3+ heritage.

What I'm wondering is what kind of graphics cpus they will use.
Old August 6th 08, 03:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
jonathan[_3_]

"Eric Chomko" wrote in message
On Jul 23, 11:36 am, kT wrote:

Look here kT, we both like Henry and we both know that Henry's system
is less than he deserves. I know you're willing to donate a system,
but so am I. I live in a college town (University of Maryland, College
Park).

Before moving to Miami, DC was my long time stomping grounds.
Used to live just around the corner from UM, in Riverdale near
Rt 1 and 410. And in nearby Greenbelt, one of the nicer areas
in the DC suburbs imo.

Old August 6th 08, 07:00 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

On Jul 23, 11:36 am, kT wrote:

Look here kT, we both like Henry and we both know that Henry's system
is less than he deserves. I know you're willing to donate a system,
but so am I. I live in a college town (University of Maryland, College
Park).

Before moving to Miami, DC was my long time stomping grounds.
Used to live just around the corner from UM, in Riverdale near
Rt 1 and 410. And in nearby Greenbelt, one of the nicer areas
in the DC suburbs imo.

Henry likes his old system; that's why he stuck with it.
He could have easily replaced it on his budget, but is pretty much a
reactionary when it comes right down to it.
The hair and beard straight out of the late 60's - early 70's should
have clued you into that immediately.
COMRADE!
He fails Lenin's test - he does not "dare to be as revolutionary as
reality itself".
I think it's time that he be sent to a "Space Re-Education Camp", don't
you? ;-)

Pat
Old August 6th 08, 06:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Rick Jones

On Jul 23, 11:36 am, kT wrote:

Look here kT, we both like Henry and we both know that Henry's
system is less than he deserves. I know you're willing to donate a
system, but so am I. I live in a college town (University of
Maryland, College Park).

Before moving to Miami, DC was my long time stomping grounds. Used
to live just around the corner from UM, in Riverdale near Rt 1 and
410. And in nearby Greenbelt, one of the nicer areas in the DC
suburbs imo.

As someone born and raised in the District of Columbia I feel
compelled to dispute that any of those areas are "DC"

rick jones
--
web2.0 n, the dot.com reunion tour...
Old August 13th 08, 06:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Jul 31, 9:18*pm, Neil Gerace wrote:
I have an 8085, ISTR they are still available new.

The whole series is nice: 4004, 8008, 8080, 8085, 8086 and 8088.
Eventually the 80286 or simply 286 came out and changed everything
until the Pentium and then it changed again.

Wasn't the 8085 a microcontroller chip sort of like the Motorola 6811?
I do not recall any microcomputers that have either an 8085 or an 6811
in them. But both were used as microcontrollers for embedded
applications, IIRC.

Eric

Speaking of Henry Spencer kT Space Shuttle 31 September 11th 08 06:00 PM
Speaking of Henry Spencer kT Space Station 31 September 11th 08 06:00 PM
Speaking of Henry Spencer kT Policy 31 September 11th 08 06:00 PM
Where is Henry Spencer? kT Policy 6 January 10th 08 02:08 AM