Help on satellite ID over UK

Old July 25th 06, 11:58 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Gingangooli

Default Help on satellite ID over UK

Last night, 24/7/06 2205hrs GMT+1, spotted satellite heading south to north.
It flared and was VERY bright but suddenly reduced brightness to nothing
within a couple of seconds of spotting it overhead. My location is NW UK,
53.4110N, 2.0830W approx.

I guess there are plenty of polar orbiting satellites, but if anyone can
help me identify it I would appreciate it. Point me to a site with transit
timetables etc. I've tried "Heavens Above" website but I couldn't tie the
sighting to any tables there.

tia

ginga

Old July 25th 06, 02:41 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
[email protected]

Gingangooli wrote:
Last night, 24/7/06 2205hrs GMT+1, spotted satellite heading south to north.
It flared and was VERY bright but suddenly reduced brightness to nothing
within a couple of seconds of spotting it overhead. My location is NW UK,
53.4110N, 2.0830W approx.

I guess there are plenty of polar orbiting satellites, but if anyone can
help me identify it I would appreciate it. Point me to a site with transit
timetables etc. I've tried "Heavens Above" website but I couldn't tie the
sighting to any tables there.

tia

ginga

That was Terra, 99-68A, #25994

Old July 25th 06, 04:53 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Gingangooli

wrote in message
oups.com...

Gingangooli wrote:
Last night, 24/7/06 2205hrs GMT+1, spotted satellite heading south to
north.
It flared and was VERY bright but suddenly reduced brightness to nothing
within a couple of seconds of spotting it overhead. My location is NW UK,
53.4110N, 2.0830W approx.

I guess there are plenty of polar orbiting satellites, but if anyone can
help me identify it I would appreciate it. Point me to a site with
transit
timetables etc. I've tried "Heavens Above" website but I couldn't tie the
sighting to any tables there.

tia

ginga

That was Terra, 99-68A, #25994

Thank you for your reply. But with you being good enough to provide the
satellite ID, I was able to check in Heavens Above and it wasn't 99-68A as
that passed an hour later at about 2304 (GMT+1) and was magnitude 3.9.
Whereas the object I saw was brighter than Venus when it flared (in my
estimation), passing at about 2205hrs (GMT+1). But I will keep on looking.

cheers

ginga

Old July 25th 06, 05:45 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
[email protected]

Gingangooli wrote:
Last night, 24/7/06 2205hrs GMT+1, spotted satellite heading south to north.
It flared and was VERY bright but suddenly reduced brightness to nothing
within a couple of seconds of spotting it overhead. My location is NW UK,
53.4110N, 2.0830W approx.

I guess there are plenty of polar orbiting satellites, but if anyone can
help me identify it I would appreciate it. Point me to a site with transit
timetables etc. I've tried "Heavens Above" website but I couldn't tie the
sighting to any tables there.

tia

ginga

Well, how about 05-42A, #28888 which is also know to flare brightly?

Old July 25th 06, 07:09 PM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
Gingangooli

wrote in message
ps.com...

Gingangooli wrote:
Last night, 24/7/06 2205hrs GMT+1, spotted satellite heading south to
north.
It flared and was VERY bright but suddenly reduced brightness to nothing
within a couple of seconds of spotting it overhead. My location is NW UK,
53.4110N, 2.0830W approx.

I guess there are plenty of polar orbiting satellites, but if anyone can
help me identify it I would appreciate it. Point me to a site with
transit
timetables etc. I've tried "Heavens Above" website but I couldn't tie the
sighting to any tables there.

tia

ginga

Well, how about 05-42A, #28888 which is also know to flare brightly?

BINGO ! That ties in with the time and the tracking, as Ursa Major was just
to the right of its track. It was also by UM where it flared and then
disappeared.

Where did you go for that info? I did try to search Heavens Above but didn't
find that until you provided the USSPACECOM Cat Number. Thanks for looking
anyway.

cheers

ginga

Old July 26th 06, 11:06 AM posted to sci.astro.satellites.visual-observe
[email protected]

Gingangooli wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

Gingangooli wrote:
[...]

Lots of info available on the Visual Satellite Observers Home Page.
(Google for it), then join the Seesat discussion group where you
will find many experts to ask questions and give advice on relevent
matters.

see you there.