Shuttle Press Release Drinking Game.

Old July 24th 11, 11:09 AM posted to sci.space.history
Anthony Frost

Default Shuttle Press Release Drinking Game.

In message tatelephone
Pat Flannery wrote:

On 7/23/2011 3:30 PM, Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Paul Madarasz wrote:

France is no further away than Canada.

If you're in Goroka, Papua new Guinea, sure.

I think he's referring to the French population of Canada.

Saint Pierre et Miquelon more likely. Slightly further away than some
bits of Canada, but much nearer than most.

Anthony

Old July 24th 11, 09:07 PM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

Fred J. McCall wrote:

The point I make would seem to be that you have no point.

Shall we start from the top?

USAnians are often derided throughout the world for a highly
parochial and insular viewpoint. A staple of European TV is
clips of hapless Americans being asked to name or locate countries
on a map of the world. Much chortlement is engendered as Joe
Sixpack of Futtbuck, Idaho, tentatively points at Vietnam and
ventures that it might be Australia.

In defense I have been pointing out that it's a really really
long way (in European terms) from Futtbuck to anywhere that
isn't Mexico or Canada, and that therefore this ignorance is
at least understandable, if not actually forgivable.

Of course, most Australians live a hell of a long way away
from anything else, but not only can they locate Vietnam
on a map, they can give you the name of a really cool bar
in downtown Hanoi, and "say hi to Bruce, if he hasn't already
left for Nepal".
Old July 24th 11, 09:11 PM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

Anthony Frost wrote:

Paul Madarasz wrote:

France is no further away than Canada.

If you're in Goroka, Papua new Guinea, sure.

I think he's referring to the French population of Canada.

Saint Pierre et Miquelon more likely. Slightly further away than some
bits of Canada, but much nearer than most.

I wonder what it's like. My impression of Quebec was that it's
more North American than it is French. Having said that, the
Frenchness of it was a welcome respite from spending time south
of the border. Not that I disliked Vermont, far from it. Lovely
place.
Old July 25th 11, 12:51 AM posted to sci.space.history
Paul Madarasz[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 11:09:17 +0100, Anthony Frost
wrote, perhaps among other things:

Paul Madarasz wrote:

France is no further away than Canada.

If you're in Goroka, Papua new Guinea, sure.

I think he's referring to the French population of Canada.

Saint Pierre et Miquelon more likely. Slightly further away than some
bits of Canada, but much nearer than most.

Anthony

That's the one (or the two)!
--
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
-- Ed Abbey
Old July 25th 11, 03:52 PM posted to sci.space.history
rwalker

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 20:07:39 +0000 (UTC), "Fevric J. Glandules"
wrote:

In defense I have been pointing out that it's a really really
long way (in European terms) from Futtbuck to anywhere that
isn't Mexico or Canada, and that therefore this ignorance is
at least understandable, if not actually forgivable.

Well, there are three hundred million plus of us, so it is fairly easy
to find someone lacking knowledge to mock. On the other hand, there
are a whole lot of us who do know how to read a map, look at a globe,
or send probes to the moon and the other bodies of the solar system.
In other words, by being selective, you can find any answer you want.
Old July 28th 11, 12:50 AM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

wrote:

In defense I have been pointing out that it's a really really
long way (in European terms) from Futtbuck to anywhere that
isn't Mexico or Canada, and that therefore this ignorance is
at least understandable, if not actually forgivable.

Well, there are three hundred million plus of us, so it is fairly easy
to find someone lacking knowledge to mock.

The ease depends on the proportion.

On the other hand, there
are a whole lot of us who do know how to read a map, look at a globe,
or send probes to the moon and the other bodies of the solar system.
In other words, by being selective, you can find any answer you want.

Indeed.

Funny how a defense of the US is so easily construed as an attack.

Old July 28th 11, 08:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
Chris Jones

jiefu writes:

Chris Jones;1165646 Wrote:

[...]

If I needed to get drunk fast, I'd drink on every "historic" out of
NASA
PAO.

this article really opened my eyes.Thanks for sharing with us your
wisdom.

Hey, no problem. You're very, very welcome.

Important Press Release advicegiven Astronomy Misc 1 September 1st 08 05:37 PM
Important Press Release advicegiven Amateur Astronomy 0 September 1st 08 04:44 PM
press release pat Policy 1 July 2nd 07 01:12 PM
ASTRONOMICAL LEAGUE PRESS RELEASE 2004-2 EFLASPO Amateur Astronomy 0 April 14th 04 08:52 PM
OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE about the docking of Progress M1-11 Jacques van Oene Space Station 0 February 2nd 04 04:25 PM