Bye-bye Moon program, hello ISS to 2020

Old January 27th 10, 10:57 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Bye-bye Moon program, hello ISS to 2020

Ares-1, Ares-V, Constellation - all dead:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...-budget27-2010...
Possibly a heavy lift booster at some future point.
But ISS will be manned till 2020 instead of 2015.

...Best reasons I've heard for impeaching Obama, if not lynching him.
How the hell does he expect us to get to ISS? Keep buying Soyuz
flights?

� � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �OM

Fiscal responsiblity manned space should be shut down for now.

So how would YOU have felt about obama if that were the plan?
Old January 27th 10, 11:56 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Ares-1, Ares-V, Constellation - all dead:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...,1252176.story
Old January 28th 10, 12:05 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Me

On Jan 27, 4:01*pm, OM wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:56:13 -0800, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Ares-1, Ares-V, Constellation - all dead:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...-budget27-2010...
Possibly a heavy lift booster at some future point.
But ISS will be manned till 2020 instead of 2015.

...Best reasons I've heard for impeaching Obama, if not lynching him.
How the hell does he expect us to get to ISS? Keep buying Soyuz
flights?

Simple answer can be found if you would keep up on events.
NASA is going to buy rides from US commercial providers, meaning
Spacex and others. Proposals will start coming out of the woodworks
from Boeing, LM and others. Ares I wasn't going to be ready for 5
years or more, which is more than enough for the standard aerospace
contractors to have some ready or for Spacex to get things right.
Old January 28th 10, 01:02 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Val Kraut

" But ISS will be manned till 2020 instead of 2015.

Somewhat off topic - but I would really like to see a list of the things
that have been done on the ISS to date that justify it's existance, other
that fixing toilets in weightlessness, Things like new miracle drugs, new
manufacturing techniques, advances in chemistry and physics, Hell, I'd even
settle for something like "A Determination of the Effect of Weightlessness
and Low Atmospheric Pressure on the Mating Rituals of the Sub-Sahara Central
East African Tse Tse Fly While in the Presence of Atmospheric Constituents
Associated with Mid-Sized Primates with Limited Toilet Priviledges".

Old January 28th 10, 02:24 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Jan 27, 7:02�pm, "Val Kraut" wrote:
" But ISS will be manned till 2020 instead of 2015.

Somewhat off topic - but I would really like to see a list of the things
that have been done on the ISS to date that justify it's existance, other
that fixing toilets in weightlessness, Things like new miracle drugs, new
manufacturing techniques, advances in chemistry and physics, Hell, �I'd even
settle for something like "A Determination of �the Effect of Weightlessness
and Low Atmospheric Pressure on the Mating Rituals of the Sub-Sahara Central
East African Tse Tse Fly While in the Presence of Atmospheric Constituents
Associated with Mid-Sized Primates with Limited Toilet Priviledges".

good luck ISS has just been a example of how NOT to run a program.

Science? Thats dead last after pork spending
Old January 28th 10, 03:11 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_702_]

"Me" wrote in message

I hope oyu're right, but I'm pessimestic that anything will be ready that
quickly.

Old January 28th 10, 03:14 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_703_]

"Val Kraut" wrote in message

" But ISS will be manned till 2020 instead of 2015.

Somewhat off topic - but I would really like to see a list of the things
that have been done on the ISS to date that justify it's existance, other
that fixing toilets in weightlessness, Things like new miracle drugs, new
manufacturing techniques, advances in chemistry and physics, Hell, I'd
even settle for something like "A Determination of the Effect of
Weightlessness and Low Atmospheric Pressure on the Mating Rituals of the
Sub-Sahara Central East African Tse Tse Fly While in the Presence of
Atmospheric Constituents Associated with Mid-Sized Primates with Limited
Toilet Priviledges".

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/st...xpedition.html

Start here.

The problem with most science is "it's boring." That's why people don't
hear much about it.

Don't see ant Tse-Tse flies though.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old January 28th 10, 04:04 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jonathan

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
news
Ares-1, Ares-V, Constellation - all dead:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...,1252176.story
Possibly a heavy lift booster at some future point.
But ISS will be manned till 2020 instead of 2015.

OK, does everyone here now understand why trying
to repeat history is such a glaring mistake?

Because as time goes by, the 'landscape' changes.
It's like trying to apply the same solution to
two different problems. If the first 'solution' or goal
was CORRECT, the second one will always
....... BE WRONG!

And proportionally so!

So, predictably, the glowing success of Apollo
should immediately foreshadow a dismal failure
with "To the Moon and Mars".

Finally!

So now we can start talking about what NASA
should (could) become once the economy turns
around.

Which just might be the right amount of time for
Space Solar Power to become practical. As all the
trends like oil prices, climate change and lower
cost to orbit might be more ...aligned...by then.

Say, around the start of Obama's second term?
Plenty of time to change a lots of opinions.

Beats just talking about NASA and the latest
......climate change data....merely talking about
the weather, like some old folks home.

Imagining the best possible future is the only way
to create a worthwhile goal.

Jonathan

Old January 28th 10, 05:12 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:02:01 -0500, "Val Kraut"
wrote:

Somewhat off topic - but I would really like to see a list of the things
that have been done on the ISS to date that justify it's existance, other
that fixing toilets in weightlessness, Things like new miracle drugs, new
manufacturing techniques, advances in chemistry and physics, Hell, I'd even
settle for something like "A Determination of the Effect of Weightlessness
and Low Atmospheric Pressure on the Mating Rituals of the Sub-Sahara Central
East African Tse Tse Fly While in the Presence of Atmospheric Constituents
Associated with Mid-Sized Primates with Limited Toilet Priviledges".

Keep in mind, ISS isn't finished. It didn't get its full-fledged
laboratories until 2008 (Destiny was there earlier, but it was used
mostly for command and control) didn't complete its power grid to run
them at 100% until last spring, and didn't get a full crew of six that
provided time for significant scientific work until last summer. So it
shouldn't come as a surprise that major advances and miracle drugs
have not yet appeared.

Except that, maybe one has: a vaccine for salmonella.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/0...a-vaccine.html

So if ISS has generated a vaccine for an illness that sickens millions
and kills thousands ever year, and did that before it was even fully
operational, then maybe it deserves more time and funding to do its
job.

But as Greg says, the ISS is a laboratory, and the vast majority of
laboratory work is mundane, seldom making headlines. Breakthroughs
come after years or decades of such work. ISS critics demand the
breakthroughs, but don't want to pay for the mundane work.

Brian
Old January 28th 10, 06:34 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

"Val Kraut" wrote in message

" But ISS will be manned till 2020 instead of 2015.

Somewhat off topic - but I would really like to see a list of the things
that have been done on the ISS to date that justify it's existance, other
that fixing toilets in weightlessness, Things like new miracle drugs, new
manufacturing techniques, advances in chemistry and physics, Hell, I'd
even settle for something like "A Determination of the Effect of
Weightlessness and Low Atmospheric Pressure on the Mating Rituals of the
Sub-Sahara Central East African Tse Tse Fly While in the Presence of
Atmospheric Constituents Associated with Mid-Sized Primates with Limited
Toilet Priviledges".

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/st...xpedition.html

Start here.

The problem with most science is "it's boring." That's why people don't
hear much about it.

It's not so much that, but rather that if the science isn't exciting
the people don't think it's science. Decades of edutainment have done
that for us.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.