A380 or de Havilland Comet

Old July 3rd 09, 03:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default A380 or de Havilland Comet

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

I'll take a B-737 maintained to US or European safety standards over an
Airbus maintained to third world standards any day.

Jeff

Agreed.

However, I have to remind myself, that humans in general are lousy at risk
assessment. I know 1 or 2 people now that have said they'd avoid the DC
Metro because of the recent crash. Despite the fact that driving is far
more dangerous. Same thing with flying.

Even the recent Southwest flap over missing FAA inspections didn't worry me
overly, given both Southwest's and the 737s history. (yes, it bothered me,
but as there weren't a rash of SWA 737s crashing, I wasn't too worked up
over it.)

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old July 6th 09, 04:32 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
m...
"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

I'll take a B-737 maintained to US or European safety standards over an
Airbus maintained to third world standards any day.

Jeff

Agreed.

However, I have to remind myself, that humans in general are lousy at risk
assessment. I know 1 or 2 people now that have said they'd avoid the DC
Metro because of the recent crash. Despite the fact that driving is far
more dangerous. Same thing with flying.

In other words, those people are idiots. ;-)

Even the recent Southwest flap over missing FAA inspections didn't worry
me overly, given both Southwest's and the 737s history. (yes, it bothered
me, but as there weren't a rash of SWA 737s crashing, I wasn't too worked
up over it.)

True.

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National