Photographing Mars

Old August 28th 03, 01:36 AM
Ziggi

Default Photographing Mars

Hi. I wanna try to take some photos of Mars this w/e using a 12in refractor
(which has a drive) with my Nikon F65. Firstly, what kind of mount do i
need to mate the camera to the telescope? Secondly, what exposure +
aperture do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Ziggi

Old August 28th 03, 11:13 PM
PR

"Ziggi" wrote in message
Hi. I wanna try to take some photos of Mars this w/e using a 12in

refractor
(which has a drive) with my Nikon F65. Firstly, what kind of mount do i
need to mate the camera to the telescope? Secondly, what exposure +
aperture do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Ziggi

12'' refractor - that's some piece of kit!!

Try

uk.sci.astronomy - number of people in there photographing Mars

Old August 29th 03, 12:01 AM
Martin Francis

"PR" wrote in message
12'' refractor - that's some piece of kit!!

I think he's trying to prove the existance of Spiders.

--
Martin
Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot

Old August 29th 03, 07:01 AM
Winfried Buechsenschuetz

"Ziggi" wrote in message ...
Hi. I wanna try to take some photos of Mars this w/e using a 12in refractor
(which has a drive) with my Nikon F65. Firstly, what kind of mount do i
need to mate the camera to the telescope?

You should try to get a T2 mount to Nikon mount converter. Adaptors
from standard eyepiece mounts (usually a push-in mount only) to T2
thread are widely available.

There are some magazines about star watching. You might also consult
your local star watchers association - there are quite a few of them.

Winfried
Old August 29th 03, 03:09 PM
Lionel

Word has it that on Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:01:30 +0000 (UTC), in this
august forum, "Martin Francis" said:

"PR" wrote in message
12'' refractor - that's some piece of kit!!

I think he's trying to prove the existance of Spiders.

Hm, I wonder if Mr Stardust has an email address. I'm sure he'd be able
to provide a definitive answer to that question.

Old August 29th 03, 04:37 PM
Ziggi

what are you talking about? if you have nothing helpful/contrustive to say,
please do not respond.

Ziggi

Old August 30th 03, 01:18 AM
Martin Francis

"Ziggi" wrote in message
what are you talking about? if you have nothing helpful/contrustive to

say,
please do not respond.

Okay. The typical method involves a Nikon - T2 mount, which are very widely
available (at least in the UK). I'm sure others can help further with the
details of the attachment, as I personally have only ever held a camera body
up to an eyepiece (short, daylight exposure through a spotting scope) and
never actually physically combined the two. It is worth considering how you
will meter with the F65 and a telescope, however, as the body only meters
with AF-type Nikon lenses. With a body that doesn't require contacts in the
lens mount to calculate exposure it's very easy.

Oh, and if you cannot spot the humour in a Mars-related question asked by a
person named Ziggi in a world where David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust has asked a
certain Mars-related question for over a quarter of a century, then I
suggest you lighten up somewhat.

Old August 30th 03, 06:51 AM
Tony Parkinson

"Ziggi" wrote in message
Hi. I wanna try to take some photos of Mars this w/e

Well, just be careful you don't get any Chocolate on the lens

--
"I'm your Huckleberry !!"
- Doc Holliday

Old September 1st 03, 06:29 PM
Bob Ashby

A 12" refractor is major piece of hardware. There are a couple of
questions that need to be answered I think. What kind or size barrel
eyepiece does this scope accept. 1.25, 2" or something else. You can order
number of adapters depending on the type of eyepiece used. A "T" adapter
will be your first requirement, beyond that it is a function of eyepiece
size. The two most common methods of connecting a 35mm camera to a
telescope is eyepiece projection and prime focus. The projection method
requires a device that hold a eyepiece and is then connection in place of
your lens. The size eyepiece will determine the amount of magnification.
Choosing the best eyepiece will depend on a number of variables, scope,
atmosphere... Prime focus just requires you to attach the camera to the
back of the telescope and shoot what you get. Astrophotography is a very
rewarding avocation, but it take time to get it right. You may want to look
up a astronomy club in your area to get some pointers. I have a 7" APO
refractor and the view is great, I can only imagine the view using a 12"
monster.

Good luck

--
Walk in peace, for they shall know us only by the tracks we leave
Bob Ashby

A Wolf's Creed:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack.
Share your affections. Voice your feelings.
Leave your mark.