Barlow Lens

Old January 12th 04, 01:36 AM
~Jim~

Default Barlow Lens

You can tell how green I am by this question. My wife bought me a Meade
60mm telescope for Christmas. I know it is not the best but I have to
start somewhere. Where do you put the Barlow lens? In between the
telescope and the diagonal mirror or between the diagonal mirror and the
eyepiece? ( Geeze, maybe this guy should stick to a monocular :-) ). I
have trouble using it in either position. More practice I know will
help. Thanks.

Old January 12th 04, 06:28 AM
Stephen Tonkin

~Jim~ wrote:
Where do you put the Barlow lens? In between the telescope and the
diagonal mirror or between the diagonal mirror and the eyepiece?

Either. It will have approximately its stated amplification factor
between the diagonal and the eyepiece; putting it between the telescope
and the diagonal is an old trick for increasing the amplification
factor. See:
http://astunit.com/tutorials/barlow.htm

I have trouble using it in either position.

Then don't use it. A Barlow needs to be of very good quality to be
useful and, frankly, the ones supplied with less expensive telescopes
often aren't.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old January 12th 04, 11:48 AM
~Jim~

Thank you Stephen for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.