Goaded by Chris Peterson

Old August 1st 05, 07:17 PM
Davoud

Default Goaded by Chris Peterson

The weather was atrocious, but I let Chris Peterson's inflammatory
language ;~) goad me into going out last night.

http://www.davidillig.com/ast-m2m15m57.shtml

davidillig.com is a non-commercial, family-safe web site.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old August 1st 05, 08:52 PM

You'd better stayed in.

Andrea T.

Old August 1st 05, 09:12 PM
Stephen Paul

"Davoud" wrote in message
The weather was atrocious, but I let Chris Peterson's inflammatory
language ;~) goad me into going out last night.

http://www.davidillig.com/ast-m2m15m57.shtml

davidillig.com is a non-commercial, family-safe web site.

Davoud

Unlike some others, I applaud any effort to get out there and image, and I
appreciate all results, good and bad. I think it's important to see what
others are doing, how they are doing it, and how local conditions and skill
affect results.

Personally, I rate my own astro-image quality on the ability to show more
detail than I can see in an eyepiece. If it shows more, it's good enough,
and worth the effort. It doesn't have to be beautiful.

Whether a victim if seeing bloat, a slight mistracking, or slight focus
error, an image of a DSO still generally shows more detail than one can see
in the eyepiece.

Old August 1st 05, 10:50 PM

Evidently he does but you don't. You should follow his lead: shut up
and post crappy pictures.

Andrea T.

Old August 2nd 05, 12:39 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:17:54 -0400, Davoud wrote:

The weather was atrocious, but I let Chris Peterson's inflammatory
language ;~) goad me into going out last night.

http://www.davidillig.com/ast-m2m15m57.shtml

Happy to goad, anytime you need a kick. I'm spoiled by our imaging
conditions here in the mountains- the highest nighttime temperature I've
ever recorded is 62F. Usually we are in the comfortable 50s, with RH
around 30%. Teens and twenties in the winter, of course, but bone dry
and clear.

Looks like you have some tracking bugs to work out- not uncommon with an
LX200. But the Ring looks good, especially for such a short exposure.
That's a target for the LX200 itself, though, given its small size.

Altair looks great. Not so much the subject, but the way it shows the
quality of the optics. The TV76/20D combo should be excellent for wide
field work, once you get the tracking under control. Do you have an
autoguider?

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old August 2nd 05, 12:43 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:03:40 -0400, John Steinberg
wrote:

Not for nothing but I've been a Chris fan for more years than I can
recall and over the last few months I've noticed that he's become
uncharacteristically surly.

I think he may need a vacation and I have two three letter destinations
in mind.

1). KSC
2). NYC

If you think I'm surly now, just wait until I get back from either of
those places! g

Also, if you want to goad him back, some variation on CalTech is sure
to get his knickers in a twist.

Why should I care about the names used for the Sister Hazel School for
Wayward Boys? Vary away.

Plus, adding all the Mac hardware and
software involved in getting your shots and publishing them really
puts a nice cherry on top.

Nope, I've never had a problem with other people using Macs. If the
pictures don't come out right, its the operator, not the operating
system.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old August 2nd 05, 03:47 AM
Davoud

Davoud:
The weather was atrocious, but I let Chris Peterson's inflammatory
language ;~) goad me into going out last night...

Chris L Peterson:
...Looks like you have some tracking bugs to work out- not uncommon with an
LX200. But the Ring looks good, especially for such a short exposure.
That's a target for the LX200 itself, though, given its small size.

Altair looks great. Not so much the subject, but the way it shows the
quality of the optics. The TV76/20D combo should be excellent for wide
field work, once you get the tracking under control. Do you have an
autoguider?

I have an ST4, but I'm not yet accomplished at using it. The learning
curve is not trivial, as shown by the number of third-party tutorials
to be found on the WWW. Some of them are pretty good, but they leave
some questions unanswered, especially for people like me who prefer
visual feedback and so prefer to use the ST4 with a computer rather
than as a standalone system.

Only after I have gotten the best guiding that the Mead can do will I
be able to evaluate any deficiencies in the Meade mount. If I reach the
point where I feel that the Meade mount, rather than my own
inexperience, is limiting my guiding, I'll consider a G-11/Gemini or
equivalent GEM.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old August 2nd 05, 08:33 AM
jerry warner

wrote:

Not for nothing but I've been a Chris fan for more years than I can
recall and over the last few months I've noticed that he's become
uncharacteristically surly.

I think he may need a vacation and I have two three letter destinations
in mind.

1). KSC
2). NYC

If you think I'm surly now, just wait until I get back from either of
those places! g

could not agree more!

Old August 2nd 05, 01:17 PM
Davoud

John Steinberg:
Oh, and ignore Andrea. Evidently even his mother did.

Huh? Must be the one with "ass" in it's e-mail address. Killfiled that
sucker long since. I tend do it quietly, with a click of the mouse,
rather than shouting "PLONK!"

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old August 2nd 05, 02:35 PM

John Steinberg wrote:
Davoud wrote:

Huh? Must be the one with "ass" in it's e-mail address.

Yeah, that's her. I know it's not politically correct, but I sometimes
find her desperate bleatings for mental health intervention amusing.

Tee hee!

However, I'll refrain from mentioning her again so as not to undermine
your filtering.

How come I've changed sex (again?)? It's "him", idiot, not "her".

Andrea T.