The Year 34 AE (After Evoloterra)

Old July 20th 03, 05:45 PM
Rand Simberg

Default The Year 34 AE (After Evoloterra)

"Five hundred million years ago, the moon summoned life out of its
first home, the sea, and led it onto the empty land. For as it drew
the tides across the barren continents of primeval earth, their daily
rhythm exposed to sun and air the creatures of the shallows. Most
perished but some adapted to the new and hostile environment. The
conquest of the land had begun.

We shall never know when this happened, on the shores of what vanished
sea. There were no eyes or cameras present to record so obscure, so
inconspicuous an event. Now, the moon calls again and this time life
responds with a roar that shakes earth and sky.

When the Saturn V soars spaceward on nearly four thousand tons of
thrust, it signifies more than a triumph of technology. It opens the
next chapter of evolution.

No wonder that the drama of a launch engages our emotions so deeply.
The rising rocket appeals to instincts older than reason; the gulf it
bridges is not only that between world and world but the deeper chasm
between heart and brain."

-- Sir Arthur C. Clarke (L'Envoi)

Remember

http://www.wherewereyou.com/

and celebrate

http://www.evoloterra.com

By the way, Bill Simon and I (two of the authors of the Evoloterra
Ceremony) will be on David Livingston's "The Space Show" this
afternoon at 4 PM PDT, discussing Apollo and the ceremony. It's
broadcast in Seattle, but it can be streamed he

http://www.thespaceshow.com/live.htm