Chicxulub was too early? What about Iceland?

Old March 30th 06, 03:47 PM posted to sci.space.moderated

Default Chicxulub was too early? What about Iceland?

Could it be that Willy Ley was right after all?

In his 1969 book "Another Look at Atlantis," a collection of essays
from Galaxy Science Fiction magazine, he posits that Iceland,
which is itself about 65 million years old, may have been formed
when a large object impacted the Earth. Ley is the first person
on record, as far as I know, to suggest a meteorite impact could
have led to the extinction of the dinosaurs.

It is a bit suspicious that Iceland also happens to sit on or near
the mid-Atlantic rift, but who knows...?

|News Release

|GSA Release No. 06-14
|
|Contact: Ann Cairns,
|Director-Communications and Marketing
|(303) 357-1056, fax 303-357-1074
|
|More Evidence Chicxulub Was Too Early
|
|Boulder, Colo. - A new study of melted rock ejected far from the
|Yucatan's Chicxulub impact crater bolsters the idea that the famed
|impact was too early to have caused the mass extinction that killed the
|dinosaurs 65 million years ago. ...
..

Old April 6th 06, 11:50 AM posted to sci.space.moderated

David J Bush skrev:
It is a bit suspicious that Iceland also happens to sit on or near
the mid-Atlantic rift, but who knows...?

Suspicious?

Logical I'd say!

Old April 8th 06, 05:38 PM posted to sci.space.moderated

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 06:50:36 -0400, "IrquiM" wrote:

|David J Bush skrev:
| It is a bit suspicious that Iceland also happens to sit on or near
| the mid-Atlantic rift, but who knows...?
|
|Suspicious?
|
|Logical I'd say!

Since the currently held view is that Iceland originated purely as a
result of volcanic activity, I would imagine that most geologists
would regard an impact origin theory as an unjustified complication.
If a random object strikes the Earth, it is more likely to miss
than hit a border between large tectonic plates. That's all I meant,
when I said it was suspiscious.

But just because it is unlikely doesn't mean it couldn't have happened.
In his article, Ley describes what might happen if an object large
enough punched a hole through the ocean and the Earth's crust. The
ocean would rush in and be turned to steam by the upwelling magma.
A huge amount of water would be pumped into the atmosphere, along with
all the dust from the explosion. The increased cloud cover might
contribute to an overall cooling of the Earth's climate, possibly
even a relatively sudden ice age. You've heard all this before, but
Willy Ley described it first.
..