MSNBC (JimO) Scoops more Inside-NASA Shuttle Documents

Old October 23rd 03, 07:29 PM
stmx3

Default Barbara Morgan in 2004!!!!

Craig Fink wrote:
stmx3 wrote:

Craig Fink wrote:

Hallerb wrote:

Barbara Morgan on NBC tonight. She still want's to go, even after an
accident and a disaster. The big difference between then and now, she
knows what buttons to push now, instead of what buttons not to push.

Bad idea if theres another accident. NASA is flying a research vehicle
not a operational vehicle.

Worst idea, what if there is another accident and she hasn't flown yet.
It would really reflect badly on our society. As the song goes, "the land
of the free and the home of the brave."

But *why*? Why do you think she should fly?

I'd really like to see what her lessons are like, what kind of
demonstrations she has and what the interaction with students on the ground
is like. It has great potential, and it'll be interesting to see how it
turns out.

Is it because NASA has
dangled a potential flight in front of her for so long?

No, more because of her quite persistence all these years.

To close the
circle left open from the loss of Christa McAuliffe?

Very much so, I've alway felt she should have flown on STS-26, or at least
been offer a position on the crew.

To show that
teachers belong in space?

That too, and really anyone else who want to have the experience.

To open doors?

Yes...

All of the above?

I agree with you, that it should be treated as a research vehicle, but
Barbara Morgan knows this and is still willing to fly on it. If she is
brave enough to fly, she should be free to do so.

Barabra Morgan in 2004!!!!

Craig Fink

It was your posts about Barbara Morgan that led me to start the
"Relevance of the Educator Astronaut" thread. Unfortunately, it
degenerated (and I'm partially to blame) into something else.

I don't like the "classroom in space" image you portray, although I know
she'll have her plate full with other things. And I would like to think
that sending a teacher to space would open doors for other professions.

I've listed pros and cons elsewhere and had relatively few comments.
Personally, I'm still on the fence, but I do have one foot on the
opposing side from you (expensive, needlessly risky, questionable
benefit, etc.)

But, I appreciate your enthusiasm, your campaign manager style, and all
those exclamation marks!(!!)

Old October 23rd 03, 07:51 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , stmx3 wrote:

But *why*? Why do you think she should fly? Is it because NASA has
dangled a potential flight in front of her for so long? To close the
circle left open from the loss of Christa McAuliffe? To show that
teachers belong in space? To open doors?

Alternately, because she's - to the best of my knowledge - a perfectly
competent, experienced and qualified member of the astronaut pool who
was assigned to STS-118 before anything happened with Columbia.
Admittedly, she got into the astronaut corps through an unusual
recruitment program, but I honstly fail to see how that's relevant to
put her on a different flight to the one she's been training for,
because someone has a bright idea that there might be PR value in it, or
that someone nebulously "should" be on this flight or that.

[Crew assignments have been shuffled a bit since I last checked, though,
so she might not be flying exactly then. But the point still stands...]

--
-Andrew Gray

Old October 23rd 03, 11:25 PM
Brian Thorn

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:49:31 -0500, "Jorge R. Frank"
wrote:

Not going to happen in 2004. Barbara's still on 118. The new 114
crewmembers have been named, and Barbara isn't one of them.

NASA must be keeping the news to itself. I've seen nothing about the
new STS-114 (or STS-121) crews in the usual Space news sites this
week.

Brian
Old October 24th 03, 12:42 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Brian Thorn wrote in
:

wrote:

Not going to happen in 2004. Barbara's still on 118. The new 114
crewmembers have been named, and Barbara isn't one of them.

NASA must be keeping the news to itself. I've seen nothing about the
new STS-114 (or STS-121) crews in the usual Space news sites this
week.

NASA hasn't announced it yet. Oberg posted a link to the names yesterday on
Alan Boyle's blog:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/750150.asp?0dm=T29BT

--
JRF