telescope arguments

Old February 16th 04, 10:36 PM
mikeS

Default telescope arguments

The only real issue with telescopes is what do you want to do? Refractors
are short on resolution
but big on wide field / magnification potential and portability and price if
it's an APO or semi-APO. SCT's and Newts are big on
resolution/magnification/color correction and short on wide field and
portability and priced well.. It's that simple. When you look up, just ask
yourself, "Why T F am I doing this?" "What do I want out of all that above
me?" Do I want resolution and magnification of DSO's? or Do I want so see a
wide field of stars?

Personally, I can't imagine anyone paying out thousands of dollars for
anything smaller than 6" of aperture just to get larger images of a field
of stars. If they do, they must be big on money to burn and short on reason.
A 4" scope is just that...4" with a restricted light gathering power.

It's unbelievably stupid to buy a meager 76mm of aperture and pay out the
kind of money a TV pronto commands along
with it's accessories too. The real coup de gras is that most people
wouldn't see anything different in the EP looking at say M42
with a 4" TAK or a 4" Synta or a 8" SCT at the same magnification or field
width. You will see a well defined smudge with the 4 stars
of the trapezium. And, if you want to do astrophotography, you would have
to pretty much take a course in it AND become
experienced AND spend even more dollars on "the proper equipment and
accessories" just to actually see what M42 is really all about.

The average person also would not want to spend the necessary time to
properly polar align a telescope to make those photos anyway.
And you would have to be a real seasoned verteran to look into the EP and
know wave errors of1/4 or 1/6 or 1/ whatever!

MS

Old February 16th 04, 11:55 PM
DBogan3220

So what is it your trying to start a big argument yourself. Your trolling,
from what I can see reading your post you lack experience and maybe you should
be considering another hobby like maybe skydiving without the chute? Or
howabout mountain climbing in swimsuits. Just a thought

DLB

Old February 17th 04, 12:47 AM
mikeS

So what is it your trying to start a big argument yourself. Your

trolling,
from what I can see reading your post you lack experience and maybe you

should
be considering another hobby like maybe skydiving without the chute? Or
howabout mountain climbing in swimsuits. Just a thought

DBogan is another uncommon name around here. Lurker with nothing good to
say.
Tell us all about your unbridled "experience" hotshot!

Old February 17th 04, 02:05 AM
Wally Anglesea™

Default Amateur Astronomer?

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:17:19 -0700, Lance Arnold
wrote:

On 16 Feb 2004 23:55:40 GMT, (DBogan3220) wrote:

So what is it your trying to start a big argument yourself. Your trolling,
from what I can see reading your post you lack experience and maybe you should
be considering another hobby like maybe skydiving without the chute? Or
howabout mountain climbing in swimsuits. Just a thought

DLB

Right he should take up amateur astronomy. Haha even the name is a joke.
Amateur Astronomer? You have to be kidding, you think dropping a couple
thousand on a toy and then pretending you can see something through it and
that makes you an astronomer? What about the education? What about the
sacrifice? What did some other looser claimed he picked up a broad at a
star party so you figured it might be cheaper than a trip to Thailand so
you sprang for some expensive toy and then hauled it miles out into the
middle of nowhere with a bunch of other mostly queer loosers expecting to
find "a normal relationship" and what you ended yo getting was something
nasty and unexpected in somewhere it shouldn't have been when you were
playing the endless"try this eyepiece game"? What a bunch of loosers.

Of course, you are *entitled* to your opinion, even though it's
ignorant.

Registrant:
Cox Communications (COX24-DOM)
1400 Lake Hearn Drive
Atlanta, GA 30319
US

Domain Name: COX.NET

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Cox Communications (CLPURQRCEO)

1400 Lake Hearn Drive
Atlanta, GA 30319
US
404-843-5000 fax: 404-847-6335

Record expires on 15-Mar-2013.
Record created on 14-Mar-1995.
Database last updated on 16-Feb-2004 21:03:15 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS.COX.NET 68.1.17.237
NS.WEST.COX.NET 68.111.106.76
NS.EAST.COX.NET 68.12.19.237
--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."