ASTRO: Flaming Star IC405

Old December 25th 06, 07:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Flaming Star IC405

I was surprised to see very little green signal from this guy. It was
mostly blue or red and the two are very different objects. Looking at
the raw images only the stars were the same it seems. The green
followed the blue but was much fainter. Also I see an asteroid marching
though the field to the right of center. 1984 QB at mag 17.0 per the
Minor Planet center. Taken 12/20 about 1 to 3 hours UTC for those that
want to look it up. There's a 19.8 guy there too but it would be below
my limit for a moving object. I tried to find out what that faint
galaxy was below the asteroid but both SIMBAD and NED a down for Santa's
arrival or something.

14" LX200R@f/10, 25x5 min L, 3x5 min each RGB, STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IC405_25X5L_3X5RGB0.67.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	256

Old December 25th 06, 11:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick, interesting how much this nebula changes when it is imaged in
broadband rather than Halpha. I am so much used to Halpha-filtered images of
this object that I wouldn't recognize it in this image.

Old December 25th 06, 08:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
J McBride

Nice image Rick, I too am interested in what galaxy that is. It is a very
dirty area and to see a galaxy there is very interesting.

Joe

----

Old December 25th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

It's very red, apparently from that gunk -- or my processing. SIMBAD
was up this morning and says it is LEDA 168936 and says there's an X-Ray
source 1" of arc south of the position it has for the galaxy. I assume
that is the nucleus of the galaxy but could be something else in it I
suppose.

Rick

Old December 25th 06, 09:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

SIMBAD is working this morning. The Galaxy is LEDA 168936 and is also
listed as an X-Ray source. Little other detail was given however.
Rick

Old December 26th 06, 04:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Thanks.

It does pay to put in more time on these guys. First time I put in over
2 hours on one. So many objects, so little time....

Rick