Ares-I (a.k.a. CLV, "The Stick") has apparently died

Old August 11th 06, 01:37 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Gunter Krebs

Default Ares-I (a.k.a. CLV, "The Stick") has apparently died

Looks like the "Stick" configuration of Ares-1 has just died:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/for...d=3783&start=1

Gunter Krebs
http://space.skyrocket.de

Old August 11th 06, 05:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
ed kyle

Gunter Krebs wrote:
Looks like the "Stick" configuration of Ares-1 has just died:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/for...d=3783&start=1

This may turn out to be right, but I'm remembering right now how, a few
months ago, nasaspaceflight mis-interpreted an internal NASA
presentation about the lunar mission architecture. This report seems
to be based on an email. I'll wait and see.

If this report is correct, then we may face the appalling "Stumpy"
alternative.

- Ed Kyle

Old August 11th 06, 06:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Derek Lyons

"Gunter Krebs" wrote:

Looks like the "Stick" configuration of Ares-1 has just died:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/for...d=3783&start=1

I see a lot of handwaving and handwringing - but no actual news.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old August 11th 06, 08:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Thomas Lee Elifritz

Gunter Krebs wrote:

Looks like the "Stick" configuration of Ares-1 has just died:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/for...d=3783&start=1

My group has proposed a $0.00 budget for man rating the Delta IV Medium.

Other than the obvious minor improvements, it's WYSISYG. If it can't be
incorporated into the pad, the capsule, the upper stage or the escape
tower, then it doesn't have to happen. We want to go into space, folks.

We're not waiting around for NASA to get that stick out of their ass.

http://cosmic.lifeform.org
Old August 11th 06, 10:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jim Davis

Thomas Lee Elifritz wrote:

My group has proposed a $0.00 budget for man rating the Delta
IV Medium.

Maybe you can convince your fellow "group" members to drop by your
Talkshop Forum. :-)

http://www.lifeform.net/talkshop/

Jim Davis

Old August 12th 06, 01:39 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Thomas Lee Elifritz

Jim Davis wrote:

Thomas Lee Elifritz wrote:

My group has proposed a $0.00 budget for man rating the Delta
IV Medium.

Maybe you can convince your fellow "group" members to drop by your
Talkshop Forum. :-)

http://www.lifeform.net/talkshop/

I have an AJAX instant contact form.

We meet in person Jim, and we all have toll free VOIP now.

Plus we also have instant messaging. Where have you been cowboy?

Plus you know, Jim, I still have that luxury resort and the rocket
center. You want a Google Maps link? I think I can see my shadow.

It must be tough being you. So what's going on with the Stick?

I can think of several show stoppers right offhand.

http://cosmic.lifeform.org
Old August 12th 06, 03:37 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jim Davis

Thomas Lee Elifritz wrote:

Plus you know, Jim, I still have that luxury resort and the
rocket center.

Just to be perfectly clear:

Is that "luxury resort and rocket center" or "luxury resort/rocket
center"?

You want a Google Maps link? I think I can see my shadow.

Please. It would make my day.

It must be tough being you.

Well, naturally. I never get to wait on, excuse me, entertain
billionaires and movie stars like you do.

So what's going on with the Stick? I can think of several show
stoppers right offhand.

chuckle

I'm sure Griffin wishes NASA could afford your consulting fees.

Jim Davis

Old August 12th 06, 03:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Thomas Lee Elifritz

Jim Davis wrote:

I'm sure Griffin wishes NASA could afford your consulting fees.

I'm sure he'll do well as a consultant on how not to design rockets
after we **** can his pathetic ass.

It's time to face up to the facts, Jim, NASA and NOAA leadership is
failing America, VSE and ESAS are complete nonsense, and we have far
more important priorities now in the new age of global warming.

On top of that, your beloved president is a traitor and war criminal.

Manned space flight is still an integral part of the American recovery
equation, but it just won't be riding on top of a solid rocket booster,
and it most definitely won't be going to the moon or mars anytime soon.

On the other hand, the ten meter ET has some definite possibilities.

The money is gone, Jim. It's dead, Jim.

http://cosmic.lifeform.org
Old August 12th 06, 10:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Widget

"Gunter Krebs" wrote in message
ups.com...
Looks like the "Stick" configuration of Ares-1 has just died:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/for...d=3783&start=1

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Sc...Stick_Now.html

I don't agree as it was always obvious that things weren't going to be easy
once 'real' engineers looked at the problem. The current configuration has
the advantage that aborts can be done during any stage of the flight, not
possible with a Delta booster (according to Thiokol).

Man-rating a Delta IV will be hugely expensive since it wasn't designed for
manned-space flight. Even an Ariane 5 would be a better choice since it
*was* designed to be man-rated. Rubber stamping the Delta IV as man-rated
(as Thomas suggests) would be ludicrous.

Old August 12th 06, 04:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Douglas Holmes

"Gunter Krebs" wrote in message
ups.com...
Looks like the "Stick" configuration of Ares-1 has just died:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/for...d=3783&start=1

One can only hope this is true but NASA's ATV addiction is not kicked that
easily.

Even if it dies they will just try to replace it with some new ATV
boondoggle.