Arthur C. Clarke Quote

Old March 13th 05, 04:18 AM
Kevin

Default Arthur C. Clarke Quote

I am searching for a specific Arthur C. Clarke quote about the night sky. It
is a beautiful description of the night sky--stars, Milky Way, Jupiter, a
meteor streaking across the sky and other things. This quote was on the
Arthur C.Clarke Foundation website years ago. Does anyone recognize this,
remember the source, or know a link to it? Thanks, Kevin

Old March 13th 05, 04:37 AM
Trane Francks

On 03/13/2005 01:18 PM +0900, Kevin wrote:
I am searching for a specific Arthur C. Clarke quote about the night sky. It
is a beautiful description of the night sky--stars, Milky Way, Jupiter, a
meteor streaking across the sky and other things. This quote was on the
Arthur C.Clarke Foundation website years ago. Does anyone recognize this,
remember the source, or know a link to it? Thanks, Kevin

http://www.badthinking.com/study/files/qclarkeac.shtml

I believe the top quote is the one you seek.

trane
--
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Trane Francks Tokyo, Japan
Old March 13th 05, 05:40 AM
Mike

I don't like the drawn out organ at the end of Thus Spat Sarathrusta

Old March 13th 05, 01:49 PM
Sam Wormley

Mike wrote:
I don't like the drawn out organ at the end of Thus Spat Sarathrusta

Strauss would have pleased me by making that shorter! But, it's
a fine tone poem anyway.

Old March 13th 05, 04:28 PM
Mike

Strauss would have pleased me by making that shorter! But, it's
a fine tone poem anyway.

Only an idiot would such a thing a "tone poem".

Old March 13th 05, 06:00 PM
Roger Steer

Only an idiot would such a thing a "tone poem".

In my opinion, only an idiot would about such a thing a 'tone poem'.

What I think the writer is saying is rather like the advert for Monty
Python's 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' - The film that makes Ben
Hur look like an epic.

What is 'Also sprach Zarath(o)ustra', then? Most people would have no
objection to 'tone poem', maybe 'symphonic poem' is a bit nearer the
mark, because of its length (about 35m), but hardly worth arguing
about.

Roger

Old March 13th 05, 10:24 PM
Jochen Lueg

In article QxXYd.124623$tl3.79532@attbi_s02,
Sam Wormley wrote:
Mike wrote:
I don't like the drawn out organ at the end of Thus Spat Sarathrusta

Strauss would have pleased me by making that shorter! But, it's
a fine tone poem anyway.

Get away. It's not half long enough. A wonderful piece of music.

Jochen

--

------------------------------------
If you like to learn about the Roe Valley

Old March 13th 05, 10:25 PM
Jochen Lueg

In article 6TZYd.49277$fc4.5519@edtnps89,
Mike wrote:

Strauss would have pleased me by making that shorter! But, it's
a fine tone poem anyway.

Only an idiot would such a thing a "tone poem".

Do you know much about 19th century music?

Jochen

--

------------------------------------

Old March 13th 05, 10:29 PM
Jochen Lueg

In article .com,
wrote:
How can one argue over such trifles when the words of Clark tower over
your small lives like glittering beacons on high summits? He looked
upwards and described what he saw for all to understand. That there is
more to life than pride and the blinkered, parochial aggression of
acquisitive humanity. Shuffling forever along the same, well-worn dirt
tracks of old. Heads eternally bowed to the controlling influence of
dim, foppish oafs. Whose gilded chins are polished with the drool of
boundless greed. At whatever cost to mankind.

That's some of what Zarathustra was saying in Nietzsche's rather splendid
book. He took more words but said rather more. Strauss took more notes and
said a bit less - but still splendidly pronounced.

Jochen

--