ASTRO: NGC 5907

Old April 28th 10, 03:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Default ASTRO: NGC 5907

NGC 5907
Draco
Penryn, California
May 2003/2009 (lum)
FS-128 (ag, ST-4)
ST-2000XM LRGB 15 minute subs

An edge-on spiral galaxy classified as Sc, distance estimates range
from 31 to 51 Mly.

Still having problems understanding red-shift values.

Color data for this image was acquired with a 69% illuminated moon.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngc 5907-lrgb-f0309.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2916
Old April 28th 10, 04:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

I was interrupted while posting - three teen aged grand daughters
blasted into the house demanding Facebook time before heading down the
street to school. Of course they get what they want knowing their
Grumpy Grandpa is a push over.

Anyhow - NGC 5709 is a well studied galaxy with studies indicating a
low star formation rate. In addition NGC 5907 is wrapped in stellar
tidal loops from past encounters with nearby galaxies.

" We present an extragalactic perspective of an extended stellar tidal
stream wrapping around the edge-on spiral galaxy NGC 5907. Our deep
images reveal for the first time a large-scale complex of arcing loops
that is an excellent example of how low-mass satellite accretion can
produce an interwoven, rosette-like structure of debris dispersed in
the halo of its host galaxy. The existence of this structure, which
has probably formed and survived for several gigayears, confirms that
halos of spiral galaxies in the local universe may still contain a
significant number of galactic fossils from their hierarchical
formation. To examine the validity of the external accretion scenario,
we present N-body simulations of the tidal disruption of a dwarf
galaxy-like system in a disk galaxy plus dark halo potential that
demonstrate that most of the tidal features observed in NGC 5907 can
be explained by a single accretion event. Unfortunately, with no
kinematic data and only the projected geometry of the stream as a
constraint, the parameters of our model are considerably degenerate
and, for now, must be considered illustrative only. Interestingly, NGC
5907 has long been considered a prototypical example of a warped
spiral in relative isolation. The presence of an extended tidal stream
challenges this picture and suggests that the gravitational
perturbations induced by the stream progenitor must be considered as a
possible cause for the warp...." ( Martínez-Delgado, et. al.
2008). http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2008ApJ...689..184M
Old April 28th 10, 11:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Glen,

very nice image of this fine galaxy. This is always one of the last spring
galaxies, so I am tempted to image it every year before I turn to the summer
objects.

Stefan