ASTRO: Venus and Pleiades

Old April 11th 07, 11:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

Default ASTRO: Venus and Pleiades

Despite the fact that my images do not compare one bit with all the others
here, I'll just keep on posting them ;-) Way to much fun to make and show
them ;-)

First one is a piggyback shot of Venus and the Pleiades with my FujiFilm
S5500 hybride camera. Was a conjuction tonight so I had to shoot that.

Second one is my first shot at something else then the moon, Venus or Saturn
;-)
Shot through 130-900 Newton with 40 mm eyepiece but sadly enough I could not
use exposures longer then 1 second. But for my first non-solar shot I like
it myself :-)

--
Menno
=====================

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	venus_plei_2007_0411_221240.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	634  Click image for larger version

Name:	plei_2007_0411_220149.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	635
Old April 11th 07, 11:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Dave Jessie

TheCroW (Menno) wrote:
Despite the fact that my images do not compare one bit with all the others
here, I'll just keep on posting them ;-) Way to much fun to make and show
them ;-)

Very nice, Menno!
I enjoy your images very much...please keep posting them.

Clear Dark Steady Skies,
Dave Jessie

Old April 12th 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

TheCroW wrote:

Despite the fact that my images do not compare one bit with all the others
here, I'll just keep on posting them ;-) Way to much fun to make and show
them ;-)

First one is a piggyback shot of Venus and the Pleiades with my FujiFilm
S5500 hybride camera. Was a conjuction tonight so I had to shoot that.

Second one is my first shot at something else then the moon, Venus or Saturn
;-)
Shot through 130-900 Newton with 40 mm eyepiece but sadly enough I could not
use exposures longer then 1 second. But for my first non-solar shot I like
it myself :-)

Looks good to me.
I started in this hobby over 50 years ago. Started making my first
scope (no one could afford to buy one at the time) in 1953, finished it
just in time for the Mars opposition in 1954. That was my first target
and showed about as much detail as Venus did in your first shot, just an
orange blob but I was proud of it. Unfortunately, there were no
astrophotographers in town but me to learn from and no way to share
them. I helped form the astronomy club in 1961 so then had someone to
share with.

I'm still learning and having a ball with the hobby. Had a long hiatus
for family when I didn't have much time for astrophotography but kept an
eye to the eyepiece the whole time. Now I'm retired I'm back at it full
speed ahead and about to celebrate my 1st anniversary of CCD work (April
23 was my first CCD photo night using a 6" f/4 and ST-7, M46 the target).

Rick

Old April 12th 07, 05:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

Despite the fact that my images do not compare one bit with all the
others
here, I'll just keep on posting them ;-) Way to much fun to make and show
them ;-)

Very nice, Menno!
I enjoy your images very much...please keep posting them.

Clear Dark Steady Skies,
Dave Jessie

Thanx Dave! And I sure will ;-)

Menno

Old April 12th 07, 05:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

[...]

Well, allready saving here for another scope (I am not much of a builder).
Maybe a Celestron C8 or 9.5 ... or Meade LX90GPS 8" UHTC ... think that's
rather an upgrade in comparison with my 5.12" Newton :-)

Menno

Old April 12th 07, 07:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

TheCroW wrote:
[...]

If you are into planetary work get the 9.25" Of the one's I've seen
they are the best optically. Then you need the seeing to support it.
That's what I'm missing here more than anything the last year.

When I started there were mostly only refractors being made. Cave was
starting out but priced way beyond my range. Commercial scopes, on this
side of the ocean anyway, are far far cheaper in terms of real money
than they were when I started. Making your own was about the only
option unless you were filthy rich.

Rick

Old April 12th 07, 08:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
TheCroW

Well, allready saving here for another scope (I am not much of a
builder).
Maybe a Celestron C8 or 9.5 ... or Meade LX90GPS 8" UHTC ... think that's
rather an upgrade in comparison with my 5.12" Newton :-)

Menno

If you are into planetary work get the 9.25" Of the one's I've seen they
are the best optically. Then you need the seeing to support it. That's
what I'm missing here more than anything the last year.

When I started there were mostly only refractors being made. Cave was
starting out but priced way beyond my range. Commercial scopes, on this
side of the ocean anyway, are far far cheaper in terms of real money than
they were when I started. Making your own was about the only option
unless you were filthy rich.

Rick

Well, I want a bit (or a lot ;-) ) of both worlds ... and what I've seen
and heard, the Celestron is one of the best allround. And seeing ... well,
indeed that is a biggie ... but I will invent some kind of machine that will
undo the seeing just weher you want to look ... ah dream on ;-)) ...

Menno

Old April 14th 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"TheCroW" wrote
Despite the fact that my images do not compare one bit with all the others
here, I'll just keep on posting them ;-) Way to much fun to make and show
them ;-)

Menno,

Ya!! Keep posting! There's no such thing as a bad astro image, and this
is the "pictures astro" News Group, not the "Astro Imaging Contest" group. I
though your Venus/Pleiades images were great and at least you had the clear
skies to see them. Nothing but clouds and snow here.

George N

Old April 14th 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"TheCroW" wrote
Well, allready saving here for another scope........

You are in *deep trouble*!! ....or at least your bank account is!

According to John Dobson, if a telescope is too big to move at all, it's too
big, and if you can just get it into your backyard, it's too small!

George N

Old April 14th 07, 07:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

"George Normandin" wrote in message
news
"TheCroW" wrote
Well, allready saving here for another scope........

You are in *deep trouble*!! ....or at least your bank account is!

According to John Dobson, if a telescope is too big to move at all, it's
too big, and if you can just get it into your backyard, it's too small!

that must mean that my 18" is just the right size....
my corollary is "The scope should be as big as max capacity of the largest
mount you can move"

again my 18" is just about the right size: ap1200gto...