High and far

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 17th 20, 02:49 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default High and far

On 2020-10-12 07:49, Dean Markley wrote:

I suspect it is mostly human nature. At least around here, we consider
anything north of us to be "up" there. Conversely, anything south is "down"
there. Being on the east coast, anything west is "out" there.

It is well known that trains are unable to climb any steep grades (and
become runaway ones with disastrous consequences in steep downhills).

You have never seen the cog railway that climbs Mt. Washington NH.
Its incline well exceeds 8deg. In fact on level ground the water
containing steam engine that pushes the cars up the mountain is inclined
on its chassis by about 20degs so that on the average incline up the
mountain its water tank is level.

Since trains function normally, it is proof that Earth is flat.

No it isn't. The curve is too gradual on the surface to notice.

Otherwise, trains heading north from equator would be climbing a 100%
incline when their max is about 6 to 8%.

J.F. Mezei OK I'm taking this as a joke.

Haha you left off the smiley. Or did someone steal your account password?

Even the ancient Greeks proved the Earth was round. Why do you think
when you see a ship approaching from beyond the horizion that instead of
appearing as steadily increasing point object that gains discernable
features as it gets closer, instead we see it highest points first?
(smokestacks, antennas, upper decks). As it would if rounding a curve?

In fact, the fact that the Earth has a clearly demarked and sharp
horizon instead of a fuzzy black line, intersperesd with points of light
along it at night no matter where you are is all the proof you need.
In fact if you want more proof, why are television antenna towers so
high? Wouldn't a 100 ft do? Why does range vary by frequency? Shouldn't
matter should it? It's all line of sight correct?

It's not April 1st. This bores me. Please let's move on.

Dave