$300 Million to Study How to Safely De-Orbit Hubble?

Old March 2nd 04, 08:53 PM
BenignVanilla

Default $300 Million to Study How to Safely De-Orbit Hubble?

The rumor on the street is that NASA will spend $300 million in order to
determine how to safely de-orbit Hubble. Wouldn't $300 million easily pay
for a manned mission to the Hubble? Why can't we launch a Soyuz to the
Hubble, with a two man crew and the supplies needed? Repair it, and have the
crew return home. What are the obstacles?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old March 2nd 04, 09:47 PM
Orion

Yeah,
Nasa want's low risk manned missions so that they don't get get bad PR.
They want the cake and to eat it as well.
"low risk & manned missions" seems like a contradiction to me.
Orion

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
What are the obstacles?

Cowardice.

---

Old March 2nd 04, 09:55 PM
lal_truckee

BenignVanilla wrote:
What are the obstacles?

Cowardice.
Old March 2nd 04, 10:00 PM
Wfoley2

Well, probably getting a Soyuz to go would need another 300 billion for
building dachas for the hoi-polloi in Russia.
Clear, Dark, Steady Skies!
(And considerate neighbors!!!)

Old March 2nd 04, 10:28 PM
Orion

One thing I'll say for the russkie's manned spaceprogram, taking risks has
never seemed to be a problem for them.
Orion

Old March 3rd 04, 11:12 AM
Hilton Evans

"lal_truckee" wrote in message ...
BenignVanilla wrote:
What are the obstacles?

Cowardice.

I'm cynical of NASA's motives, but that's way over the top. Yes NASA
has cited safety as their excuse for not sending a repair mission to
hubble, but that's just a dodge. How is going to Hubble less safe than
going to the Moon or Mars.

The Clerics of NASA are focused on human adventure and
seek any opportunity to amplify that activity. That means
focusing attention on the peopling the ISS which the public
largely ignores and away from the publically popular Hubble.

--
Hilton Evans
Lon -71° 04' 35.3"

---