Now this is interesting

Old March 7th 06, 01:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Now this is interesting

http://www.highpointscientific.com/s...idProduct=3335

Old March 7th 06, 03:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Now this is interesting (SkyScout)

Joe S. wrote:
http://www.highpointscientific.com/s...idProduct=3335

It, the Celestron SkyScout, was discussed extensively when it was
announced in late Dec or early Jan .. without anyone expressing much
enthusiasm.

At $399 there are (for me!) better toys.

Phil
Old March 7th 06, 05:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

A Telrad and a good star chart will be cheaper, and more educational.

Sure, it's nice to be able to point at something and have everything
(dated) there is to know about it at your fingertips, but it doesn't
train your brain where to find it with a telescope so you can actually
see it.

Old March 7th 06, 05:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Phil Wheeler wrote:
It, the Celestron SkyScout, was discussed extensively when it was
announced in late Dec or early Jan .. without anyone expressing much
enthusiasm.

At $399 there are (for me!) better toys.

I like the idea of it, and if it were well executed (it might be, I
don't know) and cost about $100 less, I'd buy it.

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html
Old March 7th 06, 05:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Stephen Paul wrote:
A Telrad and a good star chart will be cheaper, and more educational.

Sure, it's nice to be able to point at something and have everything
(dated) there is to know about it at your fingertips, but it doesn't
train your brain where to find it with a telescope so you can actually
see it.

I do wonder what their target market is. My guess is that their new
SkyAlign for the Nexstar series uses at least some elements of this
technology.

Phil
Old March 7th 06, 05:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Brian Tung wrote:
Phil Wheeler wrote:

It, the Celestron SkyScout, was discussed extensively when it was
announced in late Dec or early Jan .. without anyone expressing much
enthusiasm.

At $399 there are (for me!) better toys.

I like the idea of it, and if it were well executed (it might be, I
don't know) and cost about $100 less, I'd buy it.

Oddly enough, early on I heard that the price was to be $299 and I was
interested. Likely the price will come down .. perhaps by a lot (COSTCO
for $199?) if they move as slowly as I expect.

Phil
Old March 7th 06, 05:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Phil Wheeler wrote:
Oddly enough, early on I heard that the price was to be $299 and I was
interested. Likely the price will come down .. perhaps by a lot (COSTCO
for $199?) if they move as slowly as I expect.

Yes, a number of us heard that. I think it was a misprint or a typo in
a press kit. Yes, if it comes down, I will buy it. Does anyone know
how much the thing weighs, really? Does the blurb say? I'm too lazy
to look it up. (No, I guess I'm not. It weighs about a pound, and it's
about the size of a medium-sized flashlight, the kind with a handle.)

Old March 7th 06, 06:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Joe S. wrote:
http://www.highpointscientific.com/s...idProduct=3335

I'm a Telrad/charts guy, but I still welcome this product, as it seems
like it might encourage naked-eye observing. I hope it's not another
example of something that encourages a greater fascination with the toy
than the night sky.

Tom

Old March 11th 06, 04:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Joe S. wrote:

http://www.highpointscientific.com/s...idProduct=3335

What is the market for such a 399.00 device???

When you can do this!
$36.00 - Sky Atlas 2000

if you have a computer
$279.00 - theSky Pro. Edition
free - Carts du Ciel (Chart of the Sky)

$399.00 - Meade DS-2130LNT, 5" refelector/GOTO.

Steve

View Report (was: "anything interesting for me tonight?) Atreju Amateur Astronomy 12 August 24th 04 03:46 PM
Hmmm! Now THIS is Interesting - Velikovsky Ed Conrad Astronomy Misc 1 August 15th 04 09:35 PM
Interesting site tim UK Astronomy 0 July 5th 04 08:08 AM
St Ives- Interesting things to see tommorow [email protected] UK Astronomy 4 September 1st 03 10:37 PM
Interesting NPR story on Columbia debris search Patty Winter Space Shuttle 1 July 26th 03 12:54 AM