The adventure of physics - 1200 pages of free download

Old October 1st 05, 08:22 PM

Default The adventure of physics - 1200 pages of free download

I uploaded latest edition of the free Motion Mountain physics text to

http://www.motionmountain.net

In total, now over 1200 pages lead through the whole of
physics, from classical mechanics to relativity, electrodynamics,
thermodynamics, quantum theory, nuclear physics and
unification.

The eighteenth edition adds more about the echolocation
capabilities of bats and humans, describes the puzzle of
Einstein's last birthday present, gives more details on
rainbows, introduces the pearl necklace length contraction
paradox and presents the Einstein-de Haas effect and the
Barnett effect. The text now provides the classification of
rocks, shows how to use the high voltage from a computer
monitor to make things levitate, introduces magnetoreception
and the sensing of electrical fields, explains the Richter
scale for earthquakes, gives an introduction into the
behaviour of solids, liquids and gases at lowes temperatures
and presents the potentially toughest challenge of physics.
Numerous figures, photographs and puzzles have been added.
The section on special relativity and several other chapters
have been improved thoroughly. Over 60 pages of new
material have been added, often triggered by remarks and
suggestions of readers. A warm thank you to all of them.
If you find a boring page, do complain - I'll change it.

Enjoy.

Christoph Schiller

Old October 2nd 05, 02:21 PM
Wing

It seems very good.

Old October 2nd 05, 08:22 PM
Ed Earl Ross

Wing wrote:
It seems very good.

It was a joy to skim; described many things not previously
encountered in my education. Of course, when skimming few totally
understand everything...and I'm not one of the few. To read it, do
the math, and really understand would take me a long time.

--
Humbly--Ed

"If the man doesn't believe as we do,
we say he is a crank, and that settles it.
I mean, it does nowadays, because now we
can't burn him." (Mark Twain)
Old October 3rd 05, 07:14 AM
Gautam Majumdar

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:22:30 +0100, christoph_schiller wrote:

I uploaded latest edition of the free Motion Mountain physics text to

http://www.motionmountain.net

Thanks very much Christoph. As usual, it is a great resource.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to