Space Station visit inspires astronaut's passion for photography

Old August 22nd 05, 11:35 PM
Jacques van Oene

Default Space Station visit inspires astronaut's passion for photography

Katherine Trinidad
Headquarters, Washington August 22,
2005
(Phone: 202/358-3749)

Nicole Cloutier-Lemasters
Johnson Space Center, Houston
(Phone: 281/483-5111)

RELEASE: 05-232

SPACE STATION VISIT INSPIRES ASTRONAUT'S PASSION FOR
PHOTOGRAPHY

For centuries, exotic spaces from exotic places have captured the
hearts of many photographers, both professional and amateur. For
Expedition 10 International Space Station Commander Leroy Chiao,
it was something out of this world -- his extraordinary view 230 miles
above the Earth -- that inspired him to capture thousands of majestic
images from space.

NASA is featuring some of his personal favorites on the Internet.
"One of the highlights of my time on orbit was to look out the window
at the Earth and snap photos," Chiao said. He returned in April from
his long-duration spaceflight.

As part of his duties, Chiao captured photos and video of Earth
based on suggestions made by a team of scientists before the
mission began. The scientists identified photo opportunities that
aligned with the Station's daily orbit that included meteorological and,
atmospheric phenomena, geographical, manmade and natural
landmarks. These Earth-observation photos are valuable to the
scientific and research community.

Chiao faced some unique challenges to capture some of the images.
"Being in space means having to find ways to support yourself and
the camera," Chiao explained. "In addition, since the Earth is moving
past at 17,500 miles per hour, or about five miles per second, you
must pan the camera as the shutter is released, otherwise the image
will blur and appear out of focus," he said.

Chiao found what began as a routine task developed into a
passionate hobby, as he gained more interest and skill in
photography. "You know, after a while you just get a little better and a
little better, and after six and a half months, you get to take a few
good ones," Chiao said.

Chiao picked his top 10 favorite photographs, and the images are
available on the Web, along with several more of his photos from
space. His top photographs include images of the Great Wall of
China and the Himalayan Mountains.

"I try to be artistic, but I am, in many ways, a typical engineer.
Photography in space helped to bring out the artistic side in me,"
Chiao said. "The beauty of the Earth was very inspiring, and I tried to
find new ways to capture and express that beauty," he added.

For more information about Chiao's photographs on the Web, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/liv...iao_photo.html

To view Chiao's top 10 photographs on the Web, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/st...a/chiao_top10_
gallery.html

For information about NASA and agency programs on the Web, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/home/index.html

-end-

--

Jacques :-)

www.spacepatches.info

JimO writings on shuttle disaster, recovery Jim Oberg History 0 July 11th 05 06:32 PM
Ohio Astronauts and International Space Station Featured at NASA Glenn's Visitor Center Jacques van Oene Space Station 0 May 10th 05 08:55 PM
Unofficial Space Shuttle Launch Guide Steven S. Pietrobon Space Shuttle 0 August 5th 04 01:36 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM