A planet, a moon, a shadow, and a spot

Old April 19th 05, 10:00 AM
Drew

Default A planet, a moon, a shadow, and a spot

Jupiter just overtook Mars in my favorite astronomical objects
category. I stayed up late to catch the Great Red Spot and my first
Ganymede shadow transit. I had thought that being in the darker
northern polar region and being so close to the planet's edge would
make Ganymede's shadow difficult to see. Boy, was I pleasantly
surprised.

I took this image at about 7:35am UT via an ED80/9mmOrtho/Digital
Rebel. Ganymede's shadow is at top left, Ganymede is leaving Jupiter's
disk at top right (looks like a bump), and there's the GRS at lower
center...

http://www.m33.org/images/jup1.jpg

-Drew

Old April 20th 05, 09:21 AM
Dave Mitsky

Drew,

I witnessed the reappearance of Io from eclipse at 2:33 UT, the
beginning of Ganymede's transit at 5:18 UT and the start of the shadow
transit at 6:42 UT through the ASH 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain at 162
and 202x on Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Dave Mitsky