A question about indoor star testing

Old February 6th 04, 12:03 AM
Darren Drake

Default A question about indoor star testing

Well the weather has been so lousy here lately that all I have to look
at with my Orion 80ED is an artificial star. The problem is that it is
only about 20 feet away. I know that this introduces spherical
aberration but I'm uncertain weather it is undercorrection or
overcorrection that is introduced. Does anyone out there actually know
how much SA is introduced with an 80mm f/7.5 scope at that distance?
Thanks
Old February 6th 04, 01:01 AM
Chris1011

Does anyone out there actually know
how much SA is introduced with an 80mm f/7.5 scope at that distance?
Thanks

Depends on the design. If it was designed with null or negative coma, it will
look undercorrected. If it has slight positive coma, then it will look properly
corrected at close range as well as far. I would guess that it will show 1/2
wave or more under at 20 ft.

RC