My Floaters Are Gone. Long Live My Floaters?

Old August 19th 03, 10:47 PM
Fred Ma

Default My Floaters Are Gone. Long Live My Floaters?

Alexander Avtanski wrote:

I wonder if reading with sunglasses would help?
Something like 25%-50% light transmission?

Chris L Peterson wrote:

If you have the luxury of preparing your documents on Windows machines, most
software will observe the rules of the display scheme you define. Word,
FrameMaker, Mathematica, and other such will happily operate with light colored
fonts on a dark background. Outside of the Windows environment, at least some
programs support individual control of color preferences. And this does greatly
reduce the impact of floaters.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try the sunglasses on
hard copies. For Framemaker, I'll look into the customization
that allows white on black. How ironic, many years ago, the
common wisdom was to *not* have very dark environments when
viewing stuff on a screen. The exact reason was never clear,
but now the wisdom for floater people is the opposite. Ah
well, thanks again for the suggestions.

Fred

Old August 20th 03, 07:19 PM
fred ma

"David M. Palmer" wrote in message ...
In article , fred ma
wrote:

Most pages are white, so pupils are small. Most
document preparation software these days insist on
having a white background. Besides that, choice of
documentation software is driven by functionality
rather than color of background. Furthermore,
most labs are shared, and well lit, again leaving
pupils small, and floaters very noticable.

Macintosh OS X lets you invert the screen by typing
ctrl-option-clover-8 . This is listed in System Preferences under
Universal Access.

I use Solaris and Win2K/Cygwin. Thanks anyway.

Fred