Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'...Get That Rover Rollin' !!

Old January 7th 04, 01:31 AM
Jeff Lerner

Default Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'...Get That Rover Rollin' !!

9 days to get off the lander ??...Isn't it time to giddyup and get some
actual roving underway before the Great Martian Ghoul (Who's obviously been
on Xmas vacation) comes back with a vengeance ??

I understand the need to check things out and yes, there is a very expensive
and valuable asset sitting on Mars now taking very clear pictures but bad
things do happen and the longer you wait, the more opportunity (pardon the
pun) you have for something to happen...I mean Neil and Buzz didn't wait
around to get on to the Moon.....it's like they're waiting for one of those
dust devils to do a Dorothy/Toto fly away to Spirit.....

Old January 7th 04, 02:36 AM
Neil Gerace

"Jeff Lerner" wrote in message
news
9 days to get off the lander ??...Isn't it time to giddyup and get some
actual roving underway before the Great Martian Ghoul (Who's obviously

been
on Xmas vacation) comes back with a vengeance ??

It takes 9 days to start it up - it's pretty cold out there remember.

I understand the need to check things out and yes, there is a very

expensive
and valuable asset sitting on Mars now taking very clear pictures but bad
things do happen and the longer you wait, the more opportunity (pardon the
pun) you have for something to happen...I mean Neil and Buzz didn't wait
around to get on to the Moon

Didn't they pile on the Zs when they arrived?

Old January 7th 04, 03:21 AM
Mary Pegg

Neil Gerace wrote:

"Jeff Lerner" wrote in message
news
the pun) you have for something to happen...I mean Neil and Buzz didn't
wait around to get on to the Moon

Didn't they pile on the Zs when they arrived?

You think *you* could have slept after that landing?

--
Ne magna voce clametis ne canatis. Ne sine mediocritate edatis neve
bibatis. Ne ructetis. Ne inflationibus ventris alicui noceatis.
Old January 7th 04, 03:49 AM
Dudhorse

"Jeff Lerner" wrote in message
news
9 days to get off the lander ??...Isn't it time to giddyup and get some
actual roving underway before the Great Martian Ghoul (Who's obviously

been
on Xmas vacation) comes back with a vengeance ??

I understand the need to check things out and yes, there is a very

expensive
and valuable asset sitting on Mars now taking very clear pictures but bad
things do happen and the longer you wait, the more opportunity (pardon the
pun) you have for something to happen...I mean Neil and Buzz didn't wait
around to get on to the Moon.....it's like they're waiting for one of

those
dust devils to do a Dorothy/Toto fly away to Spirit.....

... all the Apollo astronauts were under severe time constraints due to

their very limited supplies of air/water/power; as far as I know Spirit has
no such restrictions. Plus if the ground controllers get in a hurry and put
Spirit into a situation it cannot get itself out of then we are f***ed!
Of course any real discoveries will not be made till just before the
November Presidential election because as we all know Texas oilmen(the Bush
family)control NASA. LOL!!

Old January 7th 04, 04:01 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Mary Pegg" wrote in message
Neil Gerace wrote:

"Jeff Lerner" wrote in message
news
the pun) you have for something to happen...I mean Neil and Buzz didn't
wait around to get on to the Moon

Didn't they pile on the Zs when they arrived?

You think *you* could have slept after that landing?

The plan was to take a nap after landing (at that point they had been awake
and working for about 12 hours I believe.)

However, the LEVA was moved up by I think 6 hours once it was apparent there
was little way they'd get much sleep anyway.

Old January 7th 04, 04:02 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Dudhorse" wrote in message

[...]

It actually has a power restriction based on available solar power.

Old January 7th 04, 04:31 AM
Neil Gerace

"Greg D. Moore (Strider)" wrote in message
.. .

"Dudhorse" wrote in message

... all the Apollo astronauts were under severe time constraints due

their very limited supplies of air/water/power; as far as I know Spirit

has
no such restrictions.

It actually has a power restriction based on available solar power.

True, but solar energy (power x time) won't limit the length of the mission
like the amount of e.g. water onboard the LM.

Old January 7th 04, 11:37 AM
Dale

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 03:49:50 GMT, "Dudhorse"
wrote:

Of course any real discoveries will not be made till just before the
November Presidential election because as we all know Texas oilmen(the Bush
family)control NASA. LOL!!

Yeah, not only will evidence of past life be found, but also vast reserves
of oil just below the surface. Halliburton will be quietly given the contract
to go get it. The space elevator folks will insist that a pipeline should be
built between the two planets.

Howard Dean will be forced to scramble for a photo-op showing him
with shovel in hand, digging exploratory oil wells in Vermont.

Dale
Old January 7th 04, 01:43 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , Neil Gerace wrote:

It actually has a power restriction based on available solar power.

True, but solar energy (power x time) won't limit the length of the mission
like the amount of e.g. water onboard the LM.

AIUI, the constraint is not one of consumables (where you can decide
what rate to expend them at, when to time your peak usages, &c) but
rather one of gradual degradation - over time, the solar panels are
expected to degrade [1], so you have a timeframe after which you can't
guarantee sufficient power. It's not like "you only have a month's worth
of fuel, so try stretching it out", but rather "in a month, the system
will have broken". Although I fully expect it to last longer :-)

[1] There may be incident-light issues here too, reduced solar flux, but
I Dunno.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old January 7th 04, 01:48 PM
Diane Wilson

In article , "Greg D. Moore
\(Strider\)" says...

It actually has a power restriction based on available solar power.

Then it's pretty poor planning to have only one sun available.
I mean, what if it goes out?

Diane