a possible way to "cancel" fog??

Old March 23rd 04, 11:22 PM
Gary Samuels III

Default a possible way to "cancel" fog??

This is a quote from another post:

" There is such a way, I've been doing it for years. What you need to be
able
to do is to generate your own fog, reverse its phase, and push this
artificial pocket of fog directly in front of the fog you're trying to
observe through. Within moments, the fog cancels and you're back to
observing. Of course, this won't work if there's excessive wind, fog that's
too thick to begin with, or rapidly dropping temperature."

Woah! Is this actually feasible? I've never heard of using anti-fog to
cancel fog.

Gary

Old March 24th 04, 02:37 AM
CLT

This is a quote from another post:

" There is such a way, I've been doing it for years. What you need to be
able
to do is to generate your own fog, reverse its phase, and push this
artificial pocket of fog directly in front of the fog you're trying to
observe through. Within moments, the fog cancels and you're back to
observing. Of course, this won't work if there's excessive wind, fog

that's
too thick to begin with, or rapidly dropping temperature."

Woah! Is this actually feasible? I've never heard of using anti-fog to
cancel fog.

Sure! You just have to make sure you have the phase completely reversed, or
you will make it even worse. And as the original poster noted, there still
isn't a solution for a windy day, very thick fog, or rapidly dropping
temperature.

The pioneering work was done at CalTech through a military project. It's one
of the offspring of Star Wars, just like the adaptive optics that are now in
common use among professionals. Only this is more available to the amateurs.
Originally the problem was they could only make it work in very small areas.
As it drifted, the phase tended to shift back, giving you more fog than you
started with. That was solved with a proprietary zonal control of the phase
shift, allowing much larger areas to be covered while maintaining phase
stability.

This process is what gave birth to the "Clear Skies" in so many .sigs among
astronomers. It's still a little spendy, but not much more than a good apo.

Clear Skies

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lunar-observing/
Lunar Picture of the Day http://www.lpod.org/
************************************

Old March 24th 04, 05:55 AM
Thad Floryan

"Gary Samuels III" wrote in message link.net...
This is a quote from another post:

" There is such a way, I've been doing it for years. What you need to be
able
to do is to generate your own fog, reverse its phase, and push this
artificial pocket of fog directly in front of the fog you're trying to
observe through. Within moments, the fog cancels and you're back to
observing. Of course, this won't work if there's excessive wind, fog that's
too thick to begin with, or rapidly dropping temperature."

Woah! Is this actually feasible? I've never heard of using anti-fog to
cancel fog.

Me neither. However, a low-level detonation of a [small] tactical nuke
[10-15 kT or so] will blow-away the fog and additionally warm things up
a bit on these cold nights; you'll lose your night-vision adaptation due
to the blast but that's compensated by the fact the electro-magnetic pulse
(EMP) will take-out all the streetlights (in fact, ALL lights!) for quite
a ways around you. A tertiary benefit is your scope will now be at thermal
equilibrium with the nearby environment and won't succumb to dreaded dew.

:-)
Old March 24th 04, 07:56 AM
John Carruthers

Woah! Is this actually feasible? I've never heard of using
anti-fog to
cancel fog.

Sure! You just have to make sure you have the phase completely
reversed, or
you will make it even worse. And as the original poster noted, there
still
isn't a solution for a windy day, very thick fog, or rapidly dropping
temperature.

I beg to differ gentlemen, let me show you my new improved
"Fog-B-Gone" pills. A full 30 day course costs less than a new
telescope, can you afford to be without them ?
jc

--
http://mysite.freeserve.com/jc_atm/

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Mail Checker

Old March 24th 04, 06:22 PM
Wan Samms

"John Carruthers" wrote in message
Woah! Is this actually feasible? I've never heard of using

anti-fog to
cancel fog.

Sure! You just have to make sure you have the phase completely
reversed, or
you will make it even worse. And as the original poster noted, there
still
isn't a solution for a windy day, very thick fog, or rapidly dropping
temperature.

I beg to differ gentlemen, let me show you my new improved
"Fog-B-Gone" pills. A full 30 day course costs less than a new
telescope, can you afford to be without them ?
jc

I'm the original poster in response to an inquiry as to a filter to get rid
of fog. There's no such filter that I know of, but it is possible to create
an inverse fog that can be used to remove normal standard fog as I have
done. The requirements are a fog instrument, and then a way to "charge" the
artificial fog to the opposite charge of the sky fog. Once the charges are
opposite, the voltages of each fog batch must be made as equal as possible
for optimum cancellation. You can do this by charging the plate of your
artificial fog device after first determining the sky charge. Once the
charges are equal and opposite, the next step is to check relative
humidities of both the real and artificial fog. Equal the humidity of the
artificial fog to the sky fog. Now the artificial fog is ready to be
released directly in front of the telescope. Release the fog, wait 15-45
seconds for cancellation, and observe.

Wan Samms

Old March 25th 04, 07:47 AM
John Carruthers

There's no such filter that I know of, but it is possible to create
an inverse fog that can be used to remove normal standard fog as I
have
done. The requirements are a fog instrument, and then a way to
"charge" the
artificial fog to the opposite charge of the sky fog.

My boob, sorry, I though you said "Anti-fog".
jc

Old March 25th 04, 03:38 PM
Wan Samms

"John Carruthers" wrote in message
There's no such filter that I know of, but it is possible to create

an inverse fog that can be used to remove normal standard fog as I
have
done. The requirements are a fog instrument, and then a way to
"charge" the
artificial fog to the opposite charge of the sky fog.

My boob, sorry, I though you said "Anti-fog".
jc

In a sense, it's "anti-fog" due to opposite charge, though not truly because
the atomic orbits aren't actually changed as would be the case for
anti-matter. You could also not create more than a few atoms of anti-fog,
even if it was possible, due to explosion risk with normal matter. "Inverse
fog" is definitely the better term for what I use.

Wan