ORION the big solution

Old November 16th 04, 06:01 PM
Azt28

Default ORION the big solution

When I see all space projects from state agencies or private sector, I regret
each time what could be done with an ORION-like space system. Recall: ORION is
a nuclear blast powered space system studied by General Atomics in the 60's.

Most talks about it have assumed a military nuke scheme, if we drop the
coutinuous readiness constrain, it seems more solutions would be open for
nuclear devices. Classical thermonuclear systems use very fast, out of
thermodynamics equilibrium, compression to cool down nuclear spin and give them
a common definite orientation. X - rays from a fission element are used to
evaporate a coating so that the rocket effect compress the thermonuclear
device. A second fission item inside the thermonuclear load heat up the atomic
degree of freedom so that long range correlation can be created at nuclear
level.

For a small scale repetitive device, this is unworkable. The solution would be
to polarize some 3He or 129Xe mixed in superfluid 4He. The liquid would be
soaked in lithium hydride. Both, 7Li and 1H have nuclear spin and could take
the 3He polarization. A simple shock wave would ionise the product and give the
common long range correlation for coherent fusion. The 7Li + 1H fusion gives 2
helium-4 nuclei. There is no radio-activity.

Polarized helium - 3 may be done in a weak magnetic field by right handed
circularly polarized 1083 nm laser infra-red beam. A laser diode is up to the
job. 3He at low pressure must be excited by an RF discharge. The polarized gaz
may then be collected in a liquid helium cooled cell. A ceasium coating prevent
the depolarization on the solid wall.

This system is rather simple, cheap and could be used for space propulsion. It
could be down scalled so that there is no need to start with an Orion monster.

Any ideas? comments?

Yvan Bozzonetti.
Old November 16th 04, 08:18 PM
Damon Hill

How soon can you rig up a bench demonstration?

--Damon

Old November 18th 04, 06:39 AM
Azt28

Damon Hill :

How soon can you rig up a bench demonstration?

--Damon

I like that cool humor!

There has been more than a bench demonstration, this system is a modernized
version of the first Soviet thermonuclear device build by the Sakarov team.

Ok, I am looking for an helium refrigerator, could you find a cheap one? no
more than $ 20 000? It could be second hand.

Yvan Bozzonetti.
Old November 18th 04, 06:39 AM
Azt28

Earl Colby Pottinger :

Yes, if it is so simple why are we not using it to make power now?

So Simple... It is simple as seen against traditional way to start fusion. May
be it could be done in 5 -10 years with the capacity of a medium industrial
facility. This system was invented half a century ago by the Sakarov team for
the first Soviet thermonuclear test. It would be difficult to militarize it, so
it was not pursued. Why not use it for energy production? Good question indeed!

If it is so cheap why have you not built one.

Same kind of answer: It is cheap in the way that it didn't needs a
multi-billions budget. This may be yet outside the pocket capacity of the
average joe. It could be something on the scale of Burt Rutan's SS1. Not
everybody can build such a system

The answer is that you did not supply an answer, you just made up something
that sound nice. Fusion is just not so easy.

On the practical side, I build a technical facility for similar projects. I am
interested indeed in producing polarized 3He. I sell a flat to buy an helium
refrigerator. Well, fusion is not my first objective. It could be a later
byproduct.

Yvan Bozzonetti.

Old November 18th 04, 12:30 PM
Earl Colby Pottinger

(Azt28) :

Earl Colby Pottinger :

Yes, if it is so simple why are we not using it to make power now?

So Simple... It is simple as seen against traditional way to start fusion.
May be it could be done in 5 -10 years with the capacity of a medium
industrial facility. This system was invented half a century ago by the
Sakarov team for the first Soviet thermonuclear test. It would be
difficult to militarize it, so it was not pursued. Why not use it for
energy production? Good question indeed!

That is a Garbage answer, A kook answer, A try to dodge reality answer.
Cheap power is military power!

Even if it is as big as a house for the smallest design most large military
ships could use it for unlimited travel range. Most countries would use it
to extend the life of thier oil reserves. Most countries want cheap power to
drive thier economics so the country can produce more wealth, thus more
taxes, thus more money for the military. Wind mills can't be directly used
by the military yet people are building them. Dams can't be used by the
military but they are still being built. Household solar panels can't be
used by the military but people are using them. Hybrid cars are being design
for the household first, the military second.

The fact that you think research money can only come for military uses first
shows you to be deluded on how research is done. Your dreams will never come
true because they are not based on the real world. Sorry, change your
appoach because your present one will never get the research done.

If it is so cheap why have you not built one.

Same kind of answer: It is cheap in the way that it didn't needs a
multi-billions budget. This may be yet outside the pocket capacity of the
average joe. It could be something on the scale of Burt Rutan's SS1. Not
everybody can build such a system

Then you are either wrong about the costs or you really don't have a design
to look at. Pocket money for many people is in the millions and for many
companies in the billions. Why not appoach them?

The answer is that you did not supply an answer, you just made up something
that sound nice. Fusion is just not so easy.

On the practical side, I build a technical facility for similar projects.

Where?

I am interested indeed in producing polarized 3He.

Why not publish it first? See if you missed something.

I sell a flat to buy an helium refrigerator.

It does not cost that much to store helium, even liquid helium.

Well, fusion is not my first objective. It could be a later byproduct.

No fusion, no-one will care!

Yvan Bozzonetti.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
I make public email sent to me! Hydrogen Peroxide Rockets, OpenBeos,
SerialTransfer 3.0, RAMDISK, BoatBuilding, DIY TabletPC. What happened to
Old November 19th 04, 06:43 AM
boblpetersen1

Enrico Fermi ordered hemispheres of U-235 & with his hands held
them together till they were warm to the touch. Is that a good enough
bench test. Think peace thoughts or we will be here to the end of
time.

How do you make sure you are right?
How can you know the other person will?

Space is where I want to be