What was America's worst rocket related accident ?- was Ed Givens

Old December 7th 03, 01:41 AM
Christopher P. Winter

Default What was America's worst rocket related accident ?- was Ed Givens

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:13:59 -0600, Brian Thorn wrote (in
part):

On 4 Dec 2003 18:04:18 GMT, Andrew Gray
wrote:

Okay. What was America's worst rocket related accident with the
greatest loss of life?

As part of the US space program?

Two technicians were killed in Columbia in March '81, although this
isn't really "rocket related".

Yes, it is. John Bjornstad and Forest Cole died either in Columbia's
Aft Compartment or in one of the Tail Service Masts at the launch pad,
depending on the source.

Was that the nitrogen asphyxiation case?

Chris W
Old December 7th 03, 05:18 PM
Brian Thorn

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 17:41:14 -0800, Christopher P. Winter
wrote:

Two technicians were killed in Columbia in March '81, although this
isn't really "rocket related".

Yes, it is. John Bjornstad and Forest Cole died either in Columbia's
Aft Compartment or in one of the Tail Service Masts at the launch pad,
depending on the source.

Was that the nitrogen asphyxiation case?

Yes. Most sources say the accident was in the Aft Compartment of
Columbia herself, but that seems unlikely due to space limitations
(there were five people involved... the two above died of their
injuries) so I tend to believe the other stories that it was actually
an accident in the Tail Service Mast.

Brian
Old December 7th 03, 05:33 PM
Andrew Gray

wrote:

Two technicians were killed in Columbia in March '81, although this
isn't really "rocket related".

Yes, it is. John Bjornstad and Forest Cole died either in Columbia's
Aft Compartment or in one of the Tail Service Masts at the launch pad,
depending on the source.

Was that the nitrogen asphyxiation case?

Yes. Most sources say the accident was in the Aft Compartment of
Columbia herself, but that seems unlikely due to space limitations
(there were five people involved... the two above died of their
injuries) so I tend to believe the other stories that it was actually
an accident in the Tail Service Mast.

I was under the impression, although I can't remember from where, that
it was two-stage; some technicians (I would assume the two dead, it'd
make more sense) collapsed, and others sustained injuries in the process
of trying to assist/recover them.

(Jenkins says "in the aft fuselage", fwiw)

Paging Jim Oberg, paging Jim Oberg...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old December 11th 03, 02:02 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Hallerb" wrote in message
They gave their life for the space program, and should be rembered.

This would be more impressive coming from you if you could remember the
verifiable references you used to support your flaming NASA management when
you originally posted. You didn't have the CAIB report then, and in any
case, while you've named it, you've yet to *cite* it.
--
If you have had problems with Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC),
please contact shredder at bellsouth dot net. There may be a class-action

Old December 11th 03, 02:06 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Hallerb" wrote in message
face facts

That's all I've been asking for- the verifiable *facts* you had on hand at
the time you posted your flames against NASA management.

Old December 12th 03, 05:27 PM
Hallerb

That's all I've been asking for- the verifiable *facts* you had on hand at
the time you posted your flames against NASA management.

PLONK, thev first person I ever killfilled.
Old December 12th 03, 08:39 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Hallerb" wrote in message

That's all I've been asking for- the verifiable *facts* you had on hand

at
the time you posted your flames against NASA management.

PLONK, thev first person I ever killfilled.

= "My posts were completely baseless at the time I made them, but I'm not
man enough to admit it. I choose instead to run away from the truth yet
again."

Old December 12th 03, 08:50 PM
Hallerb

LOL. All to avoid supporting the charges you made.

Not at all I got tired of posting my respons and the now killfiled nuisane was
never satisfied with any response I gave.

Bottom line NASA did NOT follow its own flight rules. When you knowlingly
ignore the rules the managers should expect their head on a stick, and if your
a survivor fan the tribe has spoken your torch (JOB) is put out

The crew was a victim of a poor design, budget cuts Dan Goldin lax safety
rules and ignoring the warning signs.