Mega Disasters - The History Channel

Old October 16th 07, 04:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default Mega Disasters - The History Channel

"Dave Michelson" wrote in message
Jonathan wrote:

For once a big Pentagon 'weapon' system that can be as useful for
society as the military.

It ranks right up there with the Interstate highway system.

You know if only the military needed a way to connect computers in some sort
of network.

--
Dave Michelson

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old October 16th 07, 04:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Jonathan wrote:
For once a big Pentagon 'weapon' system that can be as useful for
society as the military.

It ranks right up there with the Interstate highway system.

You know if only the military needed a way to connect computers in some sort
of network.

You idiots should count your blessings.

The military wants solar power satellites ... real bad.

Consider yourself lucky that have I pointed out very early on in the
development process, that the laws of physics demand that the rocket
body be incorporated into the solar power satellite design, and thus you
get your beloved space colonization architecture pretty much for free.
Old October 16th 07, 08:18 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Pat Flannery

Dave Michelson wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

For once a big Pentagon 'weapon' system that can be as useful for
society as the military.

It ranks right up there with the Interstate highway system.

What their idea of: "If you build these things, we'll buy power from
you" reminds me of is: "If you stick a giant cargo bay on it and give it
delta wings, we'll launch our satellites on it."
Any company in their right mind is going to say to them is: "We'll build
it provided you pay for it, and it's all yours once it's done.
Otherwise, go to hell."

Pat

Old October 16th 07, 01:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 23:43:47 -0400, in a place far, far away, "Greg D.
Moore \(Strider\)" made the phosphor
on my monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

Jonathan wrote:

For once a big Pentagon 'weapon' system that can be as useful for
society as the military.

It ranks right up there with the Interstate highway system.

You know if only the military needed a way to connect computers in some sort
of network.

Or a means of knowing precisely where they were, anytime, anywhere.
Old October 16th 07, 01:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Pat Flannery wrote:

Dave Michelson wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

For once a big Pentagon 'weapon' system that can be as useful for
society as the military.

It ranks right up there with the Interstate highway system.

What their idea of: "If you build these things, we'll buy power from
you" reminds me of is: "If you stick a giant cargo bay on it and give it
delta wings, we'll launch our satellites on it."
Any company in their right mind is going to say to them is: "We'll build
it provided you pay for it, and it's all yours once it's done.
Otherwise, go to hell."

All successful companies tell their potential customers to go to hell.

It's just common sales sense.
Old October 17th 07, 12:27 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Neil Gerace[_2_]

On Oct 16, 11:36 am, Dave Michelson wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

For once a big Pentagon 'weapon' system that can be as useful for
society as the military.

It ranks right up there with the Interstate highway system.

And aviation - except cross out Pentagon and substitute 'British
Empire'.

Old October 20th 07, 04:47 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jonathan

Jonathan wrote:

For once a big Pentagon 'weapon' system that can be as useful for
society as the military.

It ranks right up there with the Interstate highway system.

The interstate highway system was started by President
Eisenhower after he saw how the German military used
their autobaun

--
Dave Michelson

Old October 20th 07, 04:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jonathan

Jonathan wrote:

For once a big Pentagon 'weapon' system that can be as useful for
society as the military.

It ranks right up there with the Interstate highway system.

You know if only the military needed a way to connect computers in some

sort
of network.

If only our national security depended on building space
infrastruture like low cost to orbit, power plugs in space
and space ports etc....winning the military space-race.

Oh, that's right, our security does depend on winning
that race. Our future economy and global environment
also depend on it.

Having a product that could be useful to just about
anyone is a salesman's wet-dream. We need to
stop worrying about how hard and long term SSP
would be, and focus on the pitch.

It's getting the commitment to start the project
that matters. The rest will take care of itself.

--
Dave Michelson

Old October 21st 07, 04:11 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Jones

Jonathan wrote:

For once a big Pentagon 'weapon' system that can be as useful for
society as the military.

It ranks right up there with the Interstate highway system.

You know if only the military needed a way to connect computers in some

sort
of network.

If only our national security depended on building space
infrastruture like low cost to orbit, power plugs in space
and space ports etc....winning the military space-race.

If only our "national security" was real enough and everyone felt
secure enough to enable us to build ultra expensive obvious targets,
like a space elevator...

Old October 21st 07, 04:24 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Alan Jones wrote:
If only our "national security" was real enough and everyone felt
secure enough to enable us to build ultra expensive obvious targets,
like a space elevator...

Boy, if they snapped that cable at ground level it would be interesting
to see what happened next.

Pat