"Save Kopernik Observatory" Group formed.

Old August 22nd 06, 02:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

Default "Save Kopernik Observatory" Group formed.

The 'big mommies & daddies' who run the Roberson Museum in Binghamton NY
have decided to cut educational programs and "mothball" their $2.2 mil pubic
observatory. There is a small group of us who have decided to fight back!
You can help by signing onto the 'Save Kopernik' website and leaving words
of encouragement. Note that one of the 'kids encourged to exploure science'
at Kopernik has left a message of encouragement and thanks. He's astronaut
Dan Bursch, the holder of the US time-in-space record. Dan told me "Nobody
can sleep their first night in space - they're too excited, so I took
pictures of Kopernik out the Shuttle window with my 35mm camera! To my
surprise it was actually clear in New York and you can at least make out the
road up the mountain to the observatory!!"

Here is the "official" Kopernik Space Ed Center website: www.kopernik.org

Here is the "unofficial" Save Kopernik website:
http://nasanutbm.googlepages.com/savekopernik

I know that it's a little rough, but this webpage was put together by
some highschool kids (recent Kopernik students) in a day.

Also see the Press Release below.

George N
Kopernik Astro Society

-------------------

Press Release: "Save-Kopernik Task Force Formed"

(for Immediate release through 9/05/06)

The Story

The Kopernik Society of Broome County, which raised the funds to build the
Kopernik Observatory in Vestal, NY in 1973, has formed the Save-Kopernik
Task Force to coordinate community efforts to keep the Kopernik Space
Education Center open, in spite of Roberson Museum cutbacks. Today the
Kopernik Space Education Center functions as a regional science facility for
schools and the public of central New York. Its mission is to encourage
students in grades K-12 to explore the wonders of science in a high-tech and
hands-on environment unique in the region. Kopernik's professional
telescopes and advanced science labs are the catalysts for student
investigations in astronomy, physics, earth science, and engineering. Any
one interested in keeping the best public astronomical observatory in the
state operational should contact or write "Save
Kopernik" c/o Kopernik Society PO Box 1765 Binghamton, NY 13902.

Task Force Goal

To help Kopernik Space Education Center remain fully operational.

Tasks

1.. To develop a business plan that will insure the long term success of
Kopernik Observatory

2.. To establish the Friends of Kopernik Observatory to mobilize community
resources

3.. To meet with Roberson Museum to discuss new management options for
KSEC

For more information contact:

·

· Save-Kopernik

c/o Kopernik Society

PO Box 1765

Binghamton, NY

13902

Media contact: Jay Sarton, Save-Kopernik Co-chair 754-0556

Old August 22nd 06, 06:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ed[_2_]

George,

This is certainly sad news indeed. Members of my club The Bucks-Mont.
Astronomical
Assoc., Inc. visited with you folks some years ago as we worked on our
own idea of an
observatory in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.

I'm wondering if you have contacted your NY state Senators and state
Reps?
What about your local congressman and both U.S. Senators? Especially
Hillary as she is up for re-election this year who knows?

Have you checked out funding from other sources?

Best wishes,

P. Edward Murray
Past President,
BMAA., Inc.

Old August 24th 06, 02:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
George Normandin[_1_]

"Ed" wrote

George,

This is certainly sad news indeed. Members of my club The Bucks-Mont.
Astronomical
Assoc., Inc. visited with you folks some years ago as we worked on our
own idea of an
observatory in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.

I'm wondering if you have contacted your NY state Senators and state
Reps?
What about your local congressman and both U.S. Senators? Especially
Hillary as she is up for re-election this year who knows?

Have you checked out funding from other sources?

Best wishes,

P. Edward Murray
Past President,
BMAA., Inc.

Ed,

We can expect some money from NY State and local support, and a lot more
from private local organizations. However, the first order of business is to
get Roberson to give us the Observatory since they don't want to run it.

BTW, here is a new link to the "Save Kopernik" website
(http://www.savekopernik.co.nr/) that you may want to pass on to your fellow
BMAA members. We need people to "sign" the on-line petition.

George Normandin, KAS

PS: Bucks County - the home of Questar! Right?? Both Kopernik, and I
personally, own PA origin scopes: Optical Guidance Systems RC Cass's.

Old September 3rd 06, 06:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Brett Morris

My name is Brett Morris, and I started the "Unofficial" Save Kopernik
website. Its now available at www.savekopernik.org, with up to the
minute information about the current situation.

If you are concerned for Kopernik, please read through the website, and
sign our petition, or go directly to
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/872710914

Thanks for your support