Questions about the moon

Old September 9th 03, 01:53 AM
Paul Gauthier

Default Questions about the moon

Hello,
reading a post earlier today someone mentioned that the other side of the
moon will be visible to us in a week or so, is this true? Will we see it in
north america and can you really see the american flag on the moon, if so
where is it located?

I would really apreciate it if someone could enlighten me on the above
questions.
Thanks

Old September 9th 03, 02:33 AM
Greg Neill

"Paul Gauthier" wrote in message
Hello,
reading a post earlier today someone mentioned that the other side of the
moon will be visible to us in a week or so, is this true? Will we see it in
north america and can you really see the american flag on the moon, if so
where is it located?

I would really apreciate it if someone could enlighten me on the above
questions.

You must have mighty long legs after having them
pulled so much.

None of what you inquire about is true or possible.

Old September 9th 03, 03:07 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"Paul Gauthier" wrote in
:

Hello,
reading a post earlier today someone mentioned that the other side of
the moon will be visible to us in a week or so, is this true?

You can see small bits of the far side every month. Look up "lunar
libration".

Will we
see it in north america and can you really see the american flag on
the moon, if so where is it located?

There are several. You would have to go to the moon to see them.

Old September 9th 03, 03:13 AM
Ron Miller

"Greg Neill" wrote in message
news
"Paul Gauthier" wrote in message
Hello,
reading a post earlier today someone mentioned that the other side of

the
moon will be visible to us in a week or so, is this true?

No. The farside of the moon is never visible from earth (the moon always
keeps one face toward this planet).

Will we see it in
north america and can you really see the american flag on the moon, if

so
where is it located?

No...the flag will still be 240,000 miles away.

Old September 9th 03, 03:29 AM
Douglas A. Shrader

"Paul Gauthier" wrote in message
Hello,
reading a post earlier today someone mentioned that the other side of the
moon will be visible to us in a week or so, is this true? Will we see it

in
north america and can you really see the american flag on the moon, if so
where is it located?

I would really apreciate it if someone could enlighten me on the above
questions.
Thanks

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/myst...ay_030908.html

For the record, the Moon always shows the same face to Earth, whether we
can see it or not. This is because in the exact time it takes the satellite
to orbit around the Earth once -- the 29.5 days -- it also revolves one time
on its axis

Old September 9th 03, 05:13 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"Douglas A. Shrader" wrote in
:

"Paul Gauthier" wrote in message
Hello,
reading a post earlier today someone mentioned that the other side of
the moon will be visible to us in a week or so, is this true? Will we
see it

in
north america and can you really see the american flag on the moon,
if so where is it located?

I would really apreciate it if someone could enlighten me on the
above questions.
Thanks

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/myst...ay_030908.html

For the record, the Moon always shows the same face to Earth, whether
we
can see it or not. This is because in the exact time it takes the
satellite to orbit around the Earth once -- the 29.5 days -- it also
revolves one time on its axis

Not quite true. The moon's orbit is an ellipse. This means that you get
an effect called libration which allows you to see a bit of the far side.
See:

http://www.theman.themoon.co.uk/librations/

Llanzlan.
Old September 9th 03, 05:36 AM
Martin Lewicki

"Paul Gauthier" wrote in
:

Hello,
reading a post earlier today someone mentioned that the other side of
the moon will be visible to us in a week or so, is this true? Will we
see it in north america and can you really see the american flag on
the moon, if so where is it located?

I would really apreciate it if someone could enlighten me on the above
questions.
Thanks

I think what you might have heard was that a small part of the far side
will be visible due to a phenomenon called libration. While the moon
generally keeps the same side facing earth we can often see a bit beyond
the limb because the moon has a slight "wobble" that tips various portions
of is limb towards us during its revolution around the earth. This allows
us to see 9% of the "far side" (ie 59% rather than 50% of its surface).

It so happens that in the last week of this month when the moon is between
last quarter and new moon the (celestial) eastern edge of the moon will
have a strong tilt (9 degrees) and will show a feature on the far side
called Mare Orientale that is normsally out of view. However you will need
a telescope to this feature.

But you can actually track libration with the naked eye. Just what the
naked-eye circular feature called Mare Crisium near the (celestial) western
edge of the moon. You will observe that during a lunar cycle as the moon
librates M.Crisium wanders slightly in and away from the edge of the moon.

The flags on the moon are not visible even with the world's larges
telescopes.

Martin Lewicki

Old September 9th 03, 06:53 AM
Bonnie Granat

http://www.theman.themoon.co.uk/librations/

Fantastic motion photography.

"Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th" wrote in message
7.6...
"Paul Gauthier" wrote in
:

Old September 9th 03, 05:28 PM
Todd

You must have mighty long legs after having them
pulled so much.

None of what you inquire about is true or possible.

I just want to follow up on this, because I never knew the answer.
Why doesn't our moon revolve? Is this characteristic of most moons?

Todd

Old September 9th 03, 06:59 PM
Greg Neill

"Todd" wrote in message

You must have mighty long legs after having them
pulled so much.

None of what you inquire about is true or possible.

I just want to follow up on this, because I never knew the answer.
Why doesn't our moon revolve? Is this characteristic of most moons?

It does rotate, only its period of rotation is equal to
its period of revolution around the Earth. This is not
coincidence; the Moon has become tidally locked to the
Earth as tidal forces and friction worked on it.

Most small moons in the solar system are also tidally
locked to their primary.