"galacto geography"

Old September 13th 03, 07:10 AM
Painius

"Rick" wrote in message...

Thank you! This...

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/5000lys.html

...is exactly the kind of data I was looking for.

And thanks for the poem also!

Rick in Los Angeles

Pleasure !

--
happy days and...
starry starry nights!

The Flow! The Flow!
The Flow ain't goin' slow,
The Flow is goin' faster than
I really want to go.

The Flow! the Flow!
I must go with The Flow,
The Flow is where I want to be--
NOT on the sandy sho'.

Paine Ellsworth

Old September 13th 03, 07:56 AM
Painius

"Odysseus" wrote...
in message ...

Benoit Morrissette wrote:

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Got the wrong link! I remember a web site that gives growing
picture of our environment: first Earth and Moon, then the solar system, then
the OOrt cloud then... till the end of the universe. I though it was this one.
Looking in my bookmarks, i cannot find it....

Please, if you know what i an talking about, tell me where i should look!

Not the anzwers.org site to which Paine posted a link upthread:

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/5000lys.html ?

Their maps are all on too large a scale to show the solar system in
any detail -- although there's a series that relates the size of our
system to interstellar distances, at

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/stardist.html --

but it fits your description from the 12.5-LY scale on up.

--
Odysseus

And here's the interesting "Powers of 10" Java that takes
us from macro to micro in just a few seconds...

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/j...f10/index.html

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
The Flow! The Flow!
The Flow ain't goin' slow,

The Flow! the Flow!
I must go with The Flow,
The Flow is where I want to be--
NOT on the sandy sho'.

NObody wants to feel...

ALL WASHED UP

Paine Ellsworth

Old September 13th 03, 02:17 PM
Benoit Morrissette

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:29:56 GMT, Odysseus wrote:

Benoit Morrissette wrote:

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Got the wrong link! I remember a web site that gives growing
picture of our environment: first Earth and Moon, then the solar system, then
the OOrt cloud then... till the end of the universe. I though it was this one.
Looking in my bookmarks, i cannot find it....

Please, if you know what i an talking about, tell me where i should look!

Not the anzwers.org site to which Paine posted a link upthread:

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/5000lys.html ?

Their maps are all on too large a scale to show the solar system in
any detail -- although there's a series that relates the size of our
system to interstellar distances, at

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/stardist.html --

but it fits your description from the 12.5-LY scale on up.

Yessss! Thanks!

Benoît Morrissette