Why Colonize Space?

Old July 30th 09, 05:35 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Michael Stemper

Default Why Colonize Space?

In article , Quadibloc writes:
On Jul 29, 1:30=A0pm, wrote:
In sci.physics Greg Goss wrote:

One of the Niven/Pournelle books has the first interstellar colony
paid for by the National Geographic Society.

With a total income (not profit, income) in 2008 of $650 million, they
couldn't afford to send a house cat into LEO.

This is true. But I remember purchasing at a remainder counter a book
by someone who proposed colonizing space with setting up a magazine,
similar to the National Geographic, as his first step to raise money
for the venture!

Apparently Savage doesn't realize the key to making a small fortune
in publishing.

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include Standard_Disclaimer
Old July 30th 09, 05:38 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Pat Flannery

Wayne Throop wrote:
No. It wouldn't. Because it wouldn't be a
"massless thing with an engine". Because your requirements,
namely "massless thing" and "with an engine", are mutually contradictory.
And of course because all "massless things" move at exactly lightspeed.

Except the starship Enterprise, which uses its warp field to turn it
into a massless thing with an engine.
Transparent aluminum...aye, laddie, that be the ticket:
http://dvice.com/archives/2009/07/scientists-crea.php

Pat

Pat
Old July 30th 09, 05:47 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
trag

On Jul 30, 11:35 am, (Michael Stemper)
wrote:

Apparently Savage doesn't realize the key to making a small fortune
in publishing.

Start with a large fortune?
Old July 30th 09, 05:58 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Pat Flannery

William December Starr wrote:

Whatever _did_ happen to all those manganese nodules that were just
lying there on the ocean floor waiting to be vacuumed up, anyway?

They are still down there, it's just that no one has figured out a way
to economically dredge them up that's cheaper than making magnesium by
extracting it from seawater.
Diamonds, on the other hand:
http://www.miningweekly.com/article/...ime-2008-06-06

Pat
Old July 30th 09, 06:16 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Michael Stemper

In article , trag writes:
On Jul 30, 11:35 am, (Michael Stemper) wrote:

Apparently Savage doesn't realize the key to making a small fortune
in publishing.

Start with a large fortune?

Got it in one!

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include Standard_Disclaimer
Twenty-four hours in a day; twenty-four beers in a case. Coincidence?
Old July 30th 09, 06:19 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Michael Stemper

In article tatelephone, Pat Flannery writes:
William December Starr wrote:

Whatever _did_ happen to all those manganese nodules that were just
lying there on the ocean floor waiting to be vacuumed up, anyway?

They are still down there, it's just that no one has figured out a way
to economically dredge them up that's cheaper than making magnesium by
extracting it from seawater.

If we went to space, we could develop such methods!

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include Standard_Disclaimer
In my cheek? Oh, it appears to be my tongue.
Old July 30th 09, 07:56 PM posted to alt.philosophy,rec.arts.sf.written,sci.space.history,sci.physics,sci.econ
Wayne Throop

:: your requirements, namely "massless thing" and "with an engine", are
:: mutually contradictory. And of course because all "massless things"
:: move at exactly lightspeed.

: Pat Flannery
: Except the starship Enterprise, which uses its warp field to turn it
: into a massless thing with an engine.

Where was it stated that the warp field made the ship massless?
That seems quite at odds with the way it's portrayed in any
of the seriesses.

Wayne Throop http://sheol.org/throopw